Another Jain Temple


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
September 30th 2006
Published: October 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Near what I believe is the oldest Hindu temple in Mumbai (the Mumba Devi Temple--which is what gave Mumbai its name) and the Crawford Market (huge market for veggies and household goood) is another Jain temple. And much of this seemed to be a fairly Muslim neighborhood.

This Jain temple is less opulent than the Babu Amichand Panalal Adishwarji Jain Temple at Malabar Hill in Mumbai. Although they weren't too keen on having a bunch of photographs taken inside, I was able to snap off a few and I tried not to annoy anyone.

Outside, the facade of the temple was intricately carved marble and they were in the middle of doing some remodeling or updating. The columns were intricately and wonderfully carved. It was not as quiet as the other Jain temple, and some people were speaking as they were making puja.





Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Front of the AltarsFront of the Altars
Front of the Altars

You can see the fan that they would use as they were saying prayers
Ceiling of Second FloorCeiling of Second Floor
Ceiling of Second Floor

I loved the colorful cloths they used to drape the temple
AltarAltar
Altar

Possibly the main altar on the second floor. Frankly I forget.
Making PujaMaking Puja
Making Puja

This lady is applying a sandalwood paste to specified parts of a panel with marking, in the same way that they would apply the paste to various parts of the deities' bodies.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb