Juhu Beach Hindu Temple


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
September 28th 2006
Published: September 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hindu saintsHindu saintsHindu saints

On the top floor of the temple were statues of Hindu saints.
There are many Hindu, Jain, and other types of temples, and of course many mosques. However, because of terrorist bombings in Mumbai several years ago and again several months ago, security is extremely tight at the larger temples. As a result, one cannot bring cameras or cell phones to some of them. So I cannot give you pictures of those temples. And if you are not Muslim, you cannot enter the mosques here.

This temple is located in Juhu Beach area of Mumbai. It is a a Hindu temple called Shree Mukteshwar Devalaya Vishwasta Mandal. In Malaysia, the Hindu temples were generally spread out on one floor. This temple is relatively new and built next to the much older and smaller temple.

This temple was built on several floors. Each of the groups of deities below represent a distinct floor. I believe they were preparing for the Hindu festival of Durga Puja and Navrati.

Navratri is a Hindu festival of worship and dance. The word Navaratri literally means nine nights in Sanskrit; Nava - Nine and Ratri - nights. I guess this is your Hindu novena, for you Catholics out there.

In this State (Maharashtra), Durga Puja is a fun occasion. Puja is performed each day and devotees don't remove the flower garland that is put each day on the idol or image of the deity. After nine days all nine are removed together.

Indeed, while I was there, people were assembling the flower garlands that they would later put on the deities.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Hindu GodessesHindu Godesses
Hindu Godesses

On this floor are statues of Hindu Godesses, such as Durga, Laxshmi, and Saraswati.
Hindu GodessHindu Godess
Hindu Godess

Close up of the main deity on this floor. I believe this is Lakshmi.
GaneshGanesh
Ganesh

On this floor were eight forms of the God Ganesh (the Elephant God).
Main GaneshMain Ganesh
Main Ganesh

This is a close up of the God Ganesh in the form of 10 heads.
Siva LingamSiva Lingam
Siva Lingam

One floor was devoted to the Siva in the Lingam form, called Siva Lingam. They had one Siva Lingam for each Indian State.
Gods and SaintsGods and Saints
Gods and Saints

A group of Hindu Gods and saints. From left to right: Vishnu, Vishnu, Brahma, Vishnu, unknown saint, Valmiki, Ram, Krishna, and Buddha.
South Indian Hindu GodSouth Indian Hindu God
South Indian Hindu God

Not sure of the name.
Hindu GodHindu God
Hindu God

Possibly Lakshmi.
My GuideMy Guide
My Guide

This is the fellow who was kind enough to show me around and patiently explained the temple.
Temple SignTemple Sign
Temple Sign

The temple had two signs. This one was in English.


29th September 2006

UN?
I'd probably get in trouble with some god somewhere if I were to say that that temple looks a little bit like UN Security council? It is VERY cool indeed.
29th September 2006

Hindu Godesses
Why do they have four hands?
26th June 2010

Best temple in Mumbai
Very great temple , the best in Mumbai. I wish there was more publicity for this. Inside temple there is no board about this. I saw this by chance.
19th September 2010
Not Sure II

shraadh paksh
I want to feed bhojan for one bhahmin each day with sweet. Is any fecility in your temple to do this work? If yes then what are the charges for this . Please let me know. I will be very thankful to you. Thanks.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb