1st stop.....Mumbai


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
May 10th 2009
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Delhi on Tuesday morning, and after having to get a 'letter of permission' from the airport manager (as we didn't have a print out of our so called eTicket), we managed to get to the domestic terminal. From there we boarded a plane to Mumbai.

We had to take a 2 hour dusty, hot and hectic taxi journey, finally arriving in the Colaba district of Mumbai, and checked into the Hotel Volga II. The staff were pretty rude, the hotel looked like a grubby prison, but it had a bed and A/C - which given the heat, felt like heaven! Our first meal was in the trendy Leopolds Cafe, which is under the hotel. Mid-meal we noticed the bullet holes scattered throughout the cafe - windows, walls, ceilings and pillars!! Unfortunately 10 people had died here during the recent terrorist attacks. Quite sobering.

The next day, we did lots of sightseeing. We learnt about Ghandi and his struggle to free India from British rule at his Mumbai residence which is now a museum. We wandered around the stunning Fort area, taking in the busy Mumbai traffic and beautiful old buildings. Watched kids playing cricket in the Maiden Oval (big city centre park), and walked through the Colaba food market holding our noses at the fish section! Dave managed to get a shave at the local barbers and got a very physical head massage as well. On the way home we stumbled upon a wedding near our hotel, which was chaos with fireworks being let off right next to the poor horse pulling the wedding carriage!

The following day we went to the Mumbai National Museum, to learn about all things Indian - really interesting! In the evening we went to the famous Chowpatty Beach - which comes alive in the evenings, and is full of food stalls selling fanstastic Indian style snack foods, and there's even a human powered fun fair!! The colours, smells and tastes were amazing.

That evening we experienced the central Mumbai train station for the very first time. It was the most hectic place in the world! Our train was at 11pm, yet it was like rush hour in the station - thousands of people. Seeing as it was our first train, we travelled in a 1st class sleeper - fresh sheets, breakfast in bed........shame about the screaming spoilt brat in the bunk opposite!!

Still, the 12 hour trip flew by, and before we knew it we arrived in the state of Goa........time for some R & R.

x



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



27th May 2009

Enjoy your trip.
Hi Dave and Corinne. It's se moi from lovely Portugal, who else but your crazy South African acquintance. Thanks for letting me in on your blog, hope I can be a regular contributor. Have a great trip round da vorld.

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb