Elephanta Island


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai » Colaba
October 25th 2013
Published: October 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

On Tuesday we went to visit Elephanta Island. It is an island in Mumbai harbour, roughly 9km off the coast, known famously for it's rock - cut cave temples. The carvings and sculptures in the caves were very impressive, although many have begun to crack and bits have fallen off. There wasn't very much information on the island with regards to the history behind these caves, but I have since read that it's thought they were made between 450 and 750 AD. Sadly there are no elephants on Elephanta Island (that I'm aware of!), it was given it's name by the Portugese, who discovered a large elephant sculpture at the entrance, which has since collapsed.

The island itself is beautiful, covered in trees and is very peaceful. We saw lots of monkeys with babies which were cute from a distance, but the mothers got very angry if anyone got too close, needless to say I kept as far away as possible!

The journey to Elephanta Island was quite a trek, but very much worth it. We had to get a rickshaw to Andheri station, train to Colaba, taxi to the gateway of India, ferry to the Island and then
Gateway of IndiaGateway of IndiaGateway of India

Me and my roommate Melissa
walk up a huge stone staircase to the caves (phew!). This was my first experience of a train journey in India. There are carriages which are for women only, which is good as I have heard that trains can be very dangerous here. It was crowded, hot and dirty, but I still really enjoyed the journey to Colaba as I got to see more of the city.

Colaba is a part of Mumbai, very popular with tourists, home to markets, the Gateway of India and the Taj Mahal Palace hotel. On this particular day we came here specifically to catch the ferry to Elephanta Island, although I will definitely be coming back here for the markets and to explore. Hungry from the first part of our journey we decided to stop for food at Leopolds cafe, known for being the site of a terrorist attack in 2008 as well as featuring heavily in Shantaram (one of my favourite books). Before boarding the ferry we managed to get some good group pictures in front of the Gateway of India.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

On the ferry to Elephanta IslandOn the ferry to Elephanta Island
On the ferry to Elephanta Island

Gateway of India and Taj Mahal Palace in the background.
Elephanta IslandElephanta Island
Elephanta Island

Souvenir stalls on the way up to the caves
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Taken from the ferry home


9th November 2013
1382001_10153308461285391_1659029611_n

Hi al it has been really amazing to read your blog and see your pics of the place! Do keep them coming! lots of love Mary xx

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb