Mini-Break In Matheran


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Matheran
February 21st 2007
Published: March 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Like the middle class Indian families on their weekend breaks and honeymooners we've decided the perfect way to run away from the downsides of India, is to head to the hill stations.

For Mumbai city folk, the small town of Matheran is an oasis of green, 3000 feet above sea level and the best place to rest ones lungs. At the top of the hill, taxis and other automobiles are forbidden as there are no roads in Matheran!

A bit like entering a theme park, we paid our entrance fee (a small price to pay for litter free streets) and then had to choose whether we would reach our hotel by handcart, cycle-rickshaw or horse! We walked and for some reason employed a porter to carry our luggage. We’d expected two porters to share the load but one grey-haired guy with a very strong neck stepped up to carry our combined 30 kilos. Needless to say we felt very embarrassed although the attitude here is that these men (and women) can earn up to 1000 rupees a day - much more than any farmer.

Walking along the forest pathways is slightly bizarre as you feel transported to the
It's Hard Work Being A PorterIt's Hard Work Being A PorterIt's Hard Work Being A Porter

Still, money's better than no money
18th Century where produce is pulled on hand carts. You hear the clippety -clop of horses' hooves and occasionally have to dodge their dung!

Ditching the “independent travelling” for a while, we booked ourselves into the very friendly, Lord’s Central Hotel for an all-inclusive three nights package. We were left to our own devices, to swim in the pool, play some victorian badminton and use the giant chess board they’d provided for the kids. We've got the impending feeling that our year-long holiday will be over soon, so in Matheran we took the opportunity to plough through paperbacks and drink copious amounts of beer in the afternoon.

We took idle strolls to the many vantage points looking out over the plains to the South, East and West. For a five-hour walk we were joined by two stray dogs that obediently followed us, their temporary masters for the day. This is the second time in our journey that a dog has taken a walk with us - perhaps I could offer dog walking services whilst I’m looking for a job when I get back!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Charlotte LakeCharlotte Lake
Charlotte Lake

More of a dammed reservoir actually
Echo PointEcho Point
Echo Point

Shout loud, it shouts back
One Tree HillOne Tree Hill
One Tree Hill

The original way the Matherna pioneers entered the ridge
Hukkas & TikkasHukkas & Tikkas
Hukkas & Tikkas

Imaginative


2nd March 2007

Heavenly!
Must admit the scenery around Matheran looks superb and you are both obviously enjoying yourselves in this relaxing environment. Have a super birthday on Monday, Tom, and we will see you soon. xx
5th March 2007

Happy Birthday
Happy Birthday Thomas [like the cool shades!]. Love Uncle M xxx

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb