Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Sanchi
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Sanchi
Latest Blogs from Sanchi
- April 14th 2011 Sanchi
by Words: 332 Photos: 76
- December 9th 2009 namaste, sanchi!
by Words: 927 Photos: 33
- October 16th 2008 Dorfleben und Buddhistische Stupas: 15. - 17. OCT 2008 Sanchi
by Words: 311 Photos: 13
- May 1st 2008 Buddhism, Bribes and Bountiful dinners!
by Words: 766 Photos: 11
- February 1st 2008 Look, India used to be able to finish buildings
by Words: 549 Photos: 3
- August 15th 2007 Sanchi-Vidisha-Bhimbhetka : Glimpses of Ancient India
by Words: 1903 Photos: 20
- May 4th 2005 35) Sanchi - a peaceful hill crowned by a group of stupas
by Words: 1662 Photos: 9