Day 5 - Khajuraho


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Madhya Pradesh » Khajuraho
October 20th 2009
Published: October 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 - Orchha-Khajuraho

The following day, we left the lovely hotel in Orchha to begin a 4 hour journey by mini bus to Khajuraho. As a group, we had two buses, and the luggage was stowed on the top of the vehicles. Toilet breaks were either jungle trees, or at the scheduled stop that had been organised.

Our hotel in Khajuraho was basic, but clean, with a small balcony, and upon arrival we were asked if we would like to eat at the home of someone Puja knew, who is also a good artist. His home not far from the hotel, and within walking distance. When we arrived we all took off our shoes, and sat around whilst his wife began cooking. There was also another Indian friend of his there who spoke good English having worked in America. He was able to ask and answer lots of questions we had, whilst lunch was being prepared. When it came, it was nice, fresh vegatable pokoras, dahl, curry, rice, rosti's and puffed up wheat Puri's, which were very tasty. He kept on bringing more out, until we couldn't eat any more.

From the house, we hurried straight to the main temple, where our Guide showed us all the main elements of the temples. Interestingly, even though the temple is famous for the Karma Sutra statues, these only make up 2% of the total carvings. Mainly they depict everyday life for soldiers, Gods and villagers, and bear a real resemblance to the shape of those at Ankor Wat. We were also treated to a troop of monkeys at the temple which did not mind having their picture taken. We then had the option to go to a "light and sound show" at the temple, but everyone was a bit too hot to manage this.

We arranged to meet at a restaurant across the road for dinner, and most people chose to eat a Western dish, as this might have been the last opportunity.

Disappointingly, our Guide informed us that the National Park at Panna which was our next destination was actually still closed. Due to the moonsoon rains being late this year, all park openings have been delayed. However, this park has been declared a tiger free park, and they are currently trying to relocate tigers from other parks there at present.






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 98; dbt: 0.2359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb