Varkala - Kerala


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Varkala
November 18th 2099
Published: November 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Checking out of Wilson Hotel, Kovalam, we took a rickshaw back to Leela Resort where we caught the local bus back to East Fort Bus stand, Trivandrum. To escape the burning heat, we then took a rickshaw across town to the KSRTC bus stand where we were to catch a 3hour bus rattling up north to Kollabalam. Stepping off the bus in Kollabalam we opted to take a rickshaw 12km to Varkala Beach (a lovely slither of sand set beneath a cliff-top lined with restaurants and guesthouses) where we were greeted and led to our accomodation-to-be. As per usual, having just arrived, we went out in search of food heading in the completely wrong direction, over barren headlands to a secluded beach where we found ourselves scrambling over huge boulders to avoid the incoming tide. Eventually getting our bearings, the next few days were the same - spent beach bathing, relaxing in bars and drinking good old rum on the balcony purchased amidst the mayhem of the local liqour shop at closing time.

Given we were all beached out and had seen all that Varkala had to offer, we decided it was time to move onto Allepey for some backwater experience. After checking out and grabbing breakfast we took a rickshaw to Kollabalam junction and from here a local bus to Allepey (3 hours). Arriving at 4pm we made our way to Lemon Dew lodging and then into town for a bite to eat before settling down for the night ready for our early boat ride the next morning. Waking the next day a little later than expected, we checked out and took a rickshaw to the boat jetty where we ate breakfast of chai, bread and bananas before boarding the public ferry for just 10 rupees each. Come 11:30am we set off on a 2 1/2 hour journey down Kerala's backwaters, absorbing the beautiful surroundings and local village life, finally arriving in Kottayam past midday. Exiting the boat we took a rickshaw to the bus stand ready to embark on a 3 1/2 hour journey to Cochi city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb