Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Varkala
Blogs from Varkala
Latest Blogs from Varkala
- April 16th 2013 Healing, love and meditation in India
by Words: 2480 Photos: 14
- February 19th 2013 von Java, Bali, Lombok, Sir Lanka zurueck nach Indien in Ammas Ashram und zur Yogatherapieweiterbildung
by Words: 3318 Photos: 68
- February 9th 2013 When a man makes plans and the higher powers decide to change them
by Words: 431 Photos: 0
- February 8th 2013 "Bollywood in Bombay and Keralan Coconuts"
by Words: 1665 Photos: 17
- February 5th 2013 Varkala
by Words: 1710 Photos: 198
- December 29th 2012 Coastal India
by Words: 900 Photos: 9
- April 23rd 2012 Varkala
by Words: 160 Photos: 0
- April 11th 2012 Day 9, 10 & 11 Kumily - Varkala
by Words: 532 Photos: 1
- April 10th 2012 Varkala et les Lézards...
by Words: 36 Photos: 7
- April 9th 2012 Varkala: temple & food festivals!
by Words: 785 Photos: 23
- April 6th 2012 Munnar, Fort Cochi, Backwater et Varkala...
by Words: 32 Photos: 19
- April 1st 2012 The End of India
by Words: 797 Photos: 0
- March 24th 2012 The choice between heat exhaustion or
by Words: 926 Photos: 0
- March 24th 2012 The choice between heat exhaustion or malaria
by Words: 956 Photos: 0
- February 21st 2012 Looks a little bit like home but not that much really - Varkala
by Words: 1937 Photos: 11
- February 19th 2012 A few photies!
by Words: 15 Photos: 18
- February 15th 2012 Kerala continued... Vypeen Island and Varkala
by Words: 446 Photos: 0
- February 11th 2012 Varkala and Kovalam
by Words: 633 Photos: 9
- February 9th 2012 Do We Need To Pull Out The Teddy Bear?
by Words: 1800 Photos: 10
- February 7th 2012 Hari the Guru
by Words: 1744 Photos: 11