Sea, Sand and Shiva Gardens


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Varkala
April 3rd 2009
Published: April 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

I've just realised having read my other blog that it has been a while since my last update. I found out yesterday that we were now in fact in the month of April which was really surprising, I have got to the stage where I don't even know what day it is!

So anyway before I was in Calicut what must be India's most horrific town. Apart from the overcrowded beach the town consists of an amalgamation of tall industrial buildings and small dirst shacks all squashed into a space around 10 x smaller than it needs to be. So we got out of there really sharpish. On my way down to Kerala we had to go via Cochin as the train journey would take to long which was a bit of an annoyance as I had already speant a substantial amount of time there. We then continued south where we met Alice in a town called Kollam which I might add as a close second to India's most industrial city but no where near the dust and mayhem of Calicut. We checked into a spit and saw dust hotel with the boys in the neighboring room amusing themselves of the various bug induced screeches coming from our room.

We have now finally arrived in the safe haven that is Varkala and have been here around 5 or 6 days now. It is somewhat similar to our time in Palolem with quite a few tourists, an abundance of cafe, restaurants and bars, nick nack shops and all the rest. The weather has got to the point of being unbearable (poor me I know) and the sea is so warm it doesn't act as the refreshing interval one searches for when being scorched on the beach. I got burnt yesterday. The waves are famous for being the most aggressive in Kerala and one cannot enter the water without being body slammed into the fast approaching oncoming waves. Aside from this beach life has been serving its purpose and we have been chilling out to the max. A couple of days ago we all got up early to partake in a yoga class. I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed it and it was a definate work out after months of non exercsie. It also proved a comic experience as the boys tried to hold complex positions without much grace or control.

The main place to go at night is a place called the 'Funky art cafe' where we have now becoming known as regulars and the bar tenders rush to get us the best seats and cheaper (but secret) prices on cocktails.

We are staying in a place called 'Shiva Gardens' where you can sleep on the roof under the protection of mosquito nets and chill out in the bean bag gardens and have dinner at really low prices. There seems to be a little community of travellers permenantly residing there which is nice as there is always someone around to chill out with.

There is not too much to report this time as the days seemed to have flown and meshed into one making it difficult for me to remember the significant or interesting things that you guys might want to know. Ohh for April fools the boys went swimming at middnight. Of course we took their clothes ending up in their embarrasment at having to walk home in the nude. They managed to find towels though which was surprising. We are bracing ourselves for a bitter comeback... will keep you posted.

Heard from some brits the weather is clearing up back home, good news! xxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb