Time Flies in Ashram Life


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Varkala
April 3rd 2009
Published: April 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

OMMMMMM



Well, its the end of the third week at the ashram and time seems to have flown by. Each day is so loaded with activity that its hardly surprising. Today, I've taken a two hour drive up the west coast to Varkela beach with a group of people to relieve some tension of the upcoming exam and take in a bit of local culture. I had a western breakfast of fruit and museli and yoghurt to add some variety to my diet. There's not much on the agenda today, which is both strange and liberating. I'll spend some time on the beach and do a little browsing in the shops dotted around the place. And perhaps find some time to do revision...

Last's Friday's adventure in the jungle was a good break taking an hour hike to a secluded waterfall and spending a few hours eating and splashing around before heading on the trail back again. Unfortunately, the most wildlife I saw was a few large centipedes and some vibrant turquoise butterflies (still interesting though!).

The philosophy is still very interesting and inspires much discussion. But we've only got one more week to get all the lessons so theres some pressure to fit it all in. We had an ayurvedic doctor come in on Wednesday for a talk on the ancient Indian medical system. The holistic approach is quite complimentary to the yogic lifestyle. Its been nice to have guests come in periodically for added variety. Last Thursday a great Indian music group from Chennai came and gave a great performance. And every Saturday night is a talent show with all kinds of acts from flute player, singing, and storytelling to dance lessons and yoga demonstrations. Such talent!

The group is large (about 100 of us) but we've been bonding and sharing a great energy. It'll be strange to leave our bubble when it comes time. However, I'm very much looking forward to exploring more of this country and truly being out of my element! I can hardly believe its April already and home seems so distant in my memory.

I'm sorry that you in Vancouver and Arizona are experiencing such dreary weather, and Ireland I'm assuming! The heat here is so constant and the humidity keeps you always wanting another shower. Every week or so we get a tremendous charge of energy and a monsoon pours down for a few hours. One afternoon was a particularly electric storm with loud claps of thunder overhead and bright flashes of light. Then the peaceful calm after was so much more appreciated and the slightly cooler temperature.

So, I'm off now to enjoy the day. Thinking about you often and missing you lots!
Lots of love,

Laura
xoxoxo

Advertisement



3rd April 2009

heyhey!
Sounds like you're getting to pack in ots of new experiences which is fab! Ireland is actually getting some sunshine and spring has arrived :) I don't think we'll be sunbathing just yet but it's a start! Keep having a brilliant time! Lots of love, Debs
3rd April 2009

I agree with the other comment about your writing, you have a great way with words. Makes the experience feel quite nearby and inspiring. always a treat to read more about your travels, thanks!
4th April 2009

ur such a good writer laura, i luv readin ur blogs

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb