Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Munnar
Blogs from Munnar
Latest Blogs from Munnar
- March 18th 2013 Munnar
by Words: 772 Photos: 12
- March 9th 2013 The other India
by Words: 130 Photos: 0
- January 21st 2013 Some India pictures
by Words: 362 Photos: 35
- April 15th 2012 Munnar
by Words: 652 Photos: 0
- March 30th 2012 Cup of tea
by Words: 26 Photos: 14
- March 24th 2012 On tour
by Words: 814 Photos: 0
- March 24th 2012 Photos diverses de Mysore, Ooty et Munnar
by Words: 72 Photos: 11
- February 20th 2012 India, Trekking in a sea of tea plantation...
by Words: 1754 Photos: 40
- December 13th 2011 Thirty Days and a Wake Up
by Words: 2077 Photos: 18
- December 12th 2011 Top (Station) This!
by Words: 1459 Photos: 28
- December 10th 2011 High Tea
by Words: 1267 Photos: 21
- March 30th 2011 Munnar
by Words: 358 Photos: 4
- January 12th 2011 Travel to Munnar, Kerala
by Words: 356 Photos: 9
- December 31st 2010 Western Ghats von Munnar bis Chinnar
by Words: 643 Photos: 12
- December 17th 2010 kerala o kerala
by Words: 1341 Photos: 0
- November 12th 2010 Chasing Thars in Munnar
by Words: 530 Photos: 4
- June 24th 2010 My trip to Munnar during November 2005
by Words: 837 Photos: 3
- April 4th 2010 Kaivalyam Yoga Retreat or Heaven!
by Words: 444 Photos: 18
- April 3rd 2010 Auroville, farewell Pondi and to Kerala.
by Words: 476 Photos: 12
- April 3rd 2010 Flowers, flowers, flowers.
by Words: 19 Photos: 11