Kumily


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kumily
March 3rd 2010
Published: March 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Kumily, Kumily, Kumily



Traveling by rickety local bus, we headed into another valley, still mostly covered by sculptured tea plantations, but now with many pockets of natural vegetation:massive bamboos, mimosa trees, jakarandas, with coffee, pepper and cardamon growing in the shade.

We stayed in a bamboo cottage overlooking the stunning Periyar Nature Reserve... perfect setting for sunrise and sunset. No tigers unfortunately, but deer, wild pigs, lizards, and plenty of birds to entertain us...felt a bit like David Attenborough in his hide!!

We treated ourselves to a tour of a Tea Factory established 150yrs ago by non other than the Brits. Due to a complete lack of Health and Safety precautions we were able to wander around the factory, and see up close the various processes of withering, crushing, fermenting and roasting that turns little green leaves into a cuppa! fabulous!!

Unfortunately access to the nature reserve was restricted to very expensive organized tours, so we decided to move on and leave our hide behind.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb