Kochi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
February 13th 2010
Published: February 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post



Kochi was our first stop in Kerala. We spent the morning there before heading north to Varkala Beach. While visiting the Palace of Kerala, we learned that woman play a central position in Kerala society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matriarchy
“Matrifocality refers to societies in which women, especially mothers, occupy a central position, and the term does necessarily imply domination by women or mothers. Anthropologist R. L. Smith (2002) refers to 'matrifocality' as the kinship structure of a social system where the mothers assume structural prominence. The Nair community in Kerala in South India is a prime example of matrifocality.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochin
“Kochi was the centre of Indian spice trade for many centuries, and was known to the Yavanas (Greeks) as well as Romans, Jews, Arabs, and Chinese since ancient times. Kochi rose to significance as a trading centre after the port at Kodungallur (Cranganore) was destroyed by massive flooding of the river Periyar in 1341. The earliest documented references to Kochi occur in books written by Chinese voyager Ma Huan during his visit to Kochi in the 15th century as part of Admiral Zheng He's treasure fleet. There are also references to Kochi in accounts written by Italian traveller Niccolò Da Conti, who visited Kochi in 1440.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb