Quick but pleasurable.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Alleppey
March 18th 2009
Published: September 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Looking, lookingLooking, lookingLooking, looking

I couldn't help myself. For all the looks I got in that country...
Our first destination, sans Jasmine. It was hard to go on but we had to, for the memory of the team!!
Yes, yes, it was brief encounter, our visit in Allepey.
I do believe that we only stayed two nights. The main attraction is the "backwaters boat rides". There is a system of beautiful and calm canals and rivers that run throughout the countryside. And tourists have been MAJORLY taken care of here as there are hundreds of fantastically gorgeous house boats meant for cruising through the waters on multiple night excursions. With as many or as little amenities you desire. There is a full kitchen and staff ready to serve you anything you need on the boat. You choose the boat you want and you pay the price. You can share with other travellers, as many boats have two or three rooms, or just go solo making one heck of a romantic time of it.

This was OUR reason for visiting the place. Unfortunately when we got there we realized that infact we wouldn't have enough money to splash out on one of these beautiful house boats, as much as we wanted to, so we just went for a
YUM!YUM!YUM!

Dirty but delicious breakfast resto!
four hour cruise on a small motor boat. It was still REALLY amazing and relaxing. And cool, literally. It was incredibly hot and humid in the Allepey, so just getting out on the water brought on a very welcome breeze.
Our guide, Harish, was a great kid. A nice young tourism student, VERY eager to help and give info (or try to give info) when asked (or not asked). We had alot of fun. The boat driver even stopped at his house, along the riverside, and chopped a few green mangoes off of his tree to give to us as a snack. They were delicous! Sour and crunchy, a really nice treat.

The city/town of Allepey itself is alright. It does feel different from most other Indian towns, being on the Ocean and a string of water ways, it helps to calm people, I believe. It had that nice South Indian vibe, tropical, relaxed and HOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.

The food was outstanding, of couse. We enjoyed our breakfasts immensely. Fresh idlis and appam with potato curry. And for the meat eaters, there was brain curry...for breakfast. Guillaume TOTALLY wussed out on that one. And he says that I'M a fussy
Hotel Jaws?Hotel Jaws?Hotel Jaws?

I dont get it. But thats where we ate breakfast.
eater. Ha.
Guillaume also got to indulge in a little thing that isn't taboo in Allepey...BEEF! He had a nice beef curry with whole pepper corns and a spicy gravy.

The hotel that we stayed at was a beautiful old heritage home. It could have been WAAAY nicer if it wasn't being run by a troop of stoned out, tuned out, burnt out teenagers who didn't seem to even realize that they were "running" hotel, but rather just hanging out at a friends place getting stoned and watching movies and listening to tunes REALLY loud at all hours of the night.
Amazing job, boys.

Anyhow, we really didn't find a reason to prolong our stay there, we saw the backwaters, we ate the breakfast, we played on the beach fully dressed like the locals...we were finished with Allepey.
Onward, ho! To Fort Kochin!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Movie postersMovie posters
Movie posters

Always a few, hundred, of those around.
House BoatHouse Boat
House Boat

We didn't take one, BUT we wanted too.
On the backwatersOn the backwaters
On the backwaters

quite relaxing, indeed.
Very nice!Very nice!
Very nice!

I like.
In Communist Kerala,In Communist Kerala,
In Communist Kerala,

Che is the man.
Green mangoes on the riverGreen mangoes on the river
Green mangoes on the river

The driver of the boat stopped to pick up some green mangoes for us from his house.
Passer byPasser by
Passer by

He was just passing by.
YUMMY YUM!!YUMMY YUM!!
YUMMY YUM!!

That breakfast was SOOO good. Keralan parothas with potato curry! AHHH! so good.


6th October 2009

pls visit nice place of north kerala also. if you give your email id i will send some good photos of my village. its so nice

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb