Week 15 – Hampi – Back to Bangalore


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
January 15th 2009
Published: January 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our trip around India


View of temple complexView of temple complexView of temple complex

This view greated us after walking over a hill.
We arrived in Hampi at 4am to find all the hotels full or shut. Thankfully it was a warm night so Tracy and I snuck into a hotel courtyard and slept on their benches, pulling blankets over our faces to keep the mosquitoes away. The hotel turned out to be a bit of a dump so we left at 9am to find somewhere better. At least we got a free nights 'accommodation' out of it!

After a hearty breakfast we set out to explore Hampi's boulder strewn ruins. For the first time in what felt like an eternity, we found ourselves alone as we climbed through deserted temples, and I lived out my Indiana Jones fantasies. It was wonderful to hear the wind blowing through palm trees and the singing of wild budgerigars. No car horns, no barking dogs, no people asking if we want a rickshaw, photo or to change money.

As the sun set we headed back to Hampi for dinner and had so many different restaurants to chose from, Italian, Israeli or Indian, it felt like being back in Goa.

The next day we continued our exploration of the area before getting an evening train back to Bangalore.

Our return to Bangalore meant three things. We were back with our friend Donald, I could finally wash my socks (which were beginning to smell a little) and our time in India was at an end. We all enjoyed some great meals and cocktails at Bangalore's best restaurants, took a day trip to Mysore and then said good-bye to Donald and India.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb