Dentists and Terrorists


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
January 7th 2007
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Jason's BirthdayJason's BirthdayJason's Birthday

I got him a cake!
Hello (again) from Hampi-

Jason finally caved to the headache pressure of a mouthfull of dental work, so we decided to stay here for a week or so more so that he can get all of the poking and prodding and pain medicine done and over with and we can continue our trip in relative sanity. Three fillings, a cleaning and an extraction for LESS than $30. Amazing. The place is even clean and the dentist actually has a degree. What more could you ask for? (this was intended to be funny, which it is, not offensive. It has come to my attention that some people can't take a joke, so I thought I'd leave a disclaimer).

Meanwhile, the Indian police just busted a Kashmiri guy from Hampi on his way to blow some things up in Bangalore. He has a shop here and has been living in the area for some time, so there was quite an uproar when the shit hit the fan, if you will. There are busloads of police coming in every day, trying to root out his 5 accomplices, one of whom has completely disappeared. They found all sorts of neat weapons in his
The PartyThe PartyThe Party

The whole town loves you when you have free cake
apartment the next town over, and the crackdown on the Kashmiris living here has been pretty severe. Our friend has been in and out of the police station twice a day for the last few days with the approximately 40 other Kashmiri folk who live here. It's difficult to watch. I understand their vigilance, but even before this happened every Kashmiri in town had to register with the police department, and they are very closely monitored all of the time. It's a stressful way to live, especially when the actions of one person who you completely disagree with shape the way the entire community views and treats you.

Meanwhile, they're burning effigies of George Bush not 100 km away, and have been pretty consistently and throughout India since Saddam's hanging.

Don't worry- just thought we'd update you from this side in case you'd heard anything over there. We are safe and currently Canadian, if anyone asks.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Stack of ChildrenStack of Children
Stack of Children

They asked us for rupees. We caved. They were pretty cute.
Rickshaw, Sir?Rickshaw, Sir?
Rickshaw, Sir?

Our driver got a little drunk, so Jason buzzes us home before curfew on New Years Eve.
VrOOOmVrOOOm
VrOOOm

Yeah. I'm easily going 600 km an hour.


8th January 2007

Ack... an extraction, even? I hope he didn't lose a front tooth, did he?
10th January 2007

Don't worry, some sections of people may not like Bush but Americans in general are a very much liked people here in India.

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb