Casurina Dreamin'


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Gokarna
September 26th 2005
Published: September 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sun n SandSun n SandSun n Sand

The grey clouds parted to reveal the brightest sunlight.It seems, just to light up the most brilliant strip of the ocean.
Something short of paradise. Devbagh, which is about 20 kms from Goa is an island where you can actually lead the whole Robinson Crusoe existence.

Untouched beaches, the cool surf, shimmering sunlight lighting up a strip of the ocean, barbeques by the ocean , and waking up to the sound of the waves….sigh!

And not to forget the extremely cozy log cabins shaded by Casurina trees…(before I start sounding like one of those extremely verbose Indian writers who go on about trees you’ve never heard of, a Casurina tree it kind of looks like a pine tree, but only the cones are much smaller. In fact, next time you’re caught in a tsunami, and there is no other escape, climbing a Casuarina is a recommended option).

Your view is dotted with the sight of uninhabited islands in the distance, and by ships that are anchored for the night. Shell collecting makes for an extremely relaxing and educative pastime.

A must visit, this island, especially just before the monsoon where the wild winds threaten to blow the camera out of your hand, and the dark clouds tease you with the pleasant promise of rain.

One night, we
Ocean Yin YangOcean Yin YangOcean Yin Yang

Just the right amount of surf n sand found its way into my frame...
woke up to the sound of the raindrops on the roof of the log cabin, the pitter patter only interrupted by the distracting whiff of wet earth. Stepping out, we were greeted by the sight of raindrops perched precariously on the needle-like leaves - and in the distance, the ocean roared and gushed in harmony with the tempest.


We then lulled the rain into a peaceful drizzle (or so I like to imagine), and went back to our cozy, now familiar sheets.
And to the night we surrendered; dreaming of the secrets nestled in the depths of the ocean, and wondered if there would ever be another time and another place such as this.

With valiant promises of purchasing islands for each other, and promising to return another day, another time, we left the island on a ferry - the trail of sea foam forming an aching connect with the paradise we were leaving behind us.

And with the smell of the sea clinging to our hair, and the sand between our toes, we boarded a nightmare of a bus - to get back to reality which beckoned us with annoying beeps on our mobile phones.


Advertisement



3rd October 2005

hmmm
So, who is the 'We' that you keep talking about?
3rd October 2005

gr8
the entire write up is wonderful. brings me back the sweet memories of the place. i have been there a couple of years ago; and also have a blog in the same category titled 'journey to gokarn'. http://www.vuttaa.blogspot.com

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb