India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
February 27th 2013
Published: February 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Poverty in India




T.H.E. B.O.M.B.




Although there has recently been much success in India, there still remains a large amount of poverty in this country. A lot of it began when India gained its independence from England in 1947, and established a socialist government. This is an example of a military conflict from "T.H.E. B.O.M.B." Due to the government, not a lot of progress was made in getting rid of the poverty around that time. To add, there is quite an education gap in India; those who can afford it may attend private schools with better educatoin, while those who cannot are forced to stick with the mediocre education taught in public schools. It has been difficult for impoverished families to get themselves out of poverty, but it is becoming easier nowadays due to job opportunities from outsourcing.




India is ranked second in the world for their population of 1.2 billion people, behind China. "Overpopulation" almost seems like an understatement, since India houses approximately one seventh of the world's population. Compared to other nations in poverty, however, India is doing a pretty fine job at bringing people out of poverty and into the middle class. Although it has been slow, because of the democracy they now have, it certainly has been successful.




In the News




An article from British newspaper "The Guardian," by Jason Burke entitled "Poverty-stricken Indian women forced into prostitution in Middle East" discusses the major problem of human trafficking going on in all parts of India, including Bangalore. Impoverished women are often tricked into prostitution or sold as sex slaves with the lure of jobs and money for their families. In the past year, there has been an increase in human trafficking in India by approximatley 100 incidents. The artical also states that most women recruited are from extremely deprived backgrounds and are often illerate. Indian police are beginning to uncover operations in many areas, and many women are on the road to recovery.




This information supports the concept of an education gap in India. Since so many of the impoverished are illerate and public schools are rarely sufficient for a quality education, it makes it difficult for them to get out of their situation. These women, for example, are desperate to take any job or go to any place to get money for themselves and for their families to survive, that it is easier for them to fall into the trap of trafficking. They don't know as much about the issue either, as illiteracy and bad education prevents them from reading the news or learning about dangerous situations.


http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/07/indian-women-forced-prostitution-middle-east



Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb