The Taj is o so pretty


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
July 13th 2006
Published: July 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Taj in all its gloryThe Taj in all its gloryThe Taj in all its glory

No postcard needed here. The Taj is more beautiful than I ever expected.
Hey guys,

First things first. Yes there were terrorist attacks here in India this week. 7 bombs went off in Mumbai, which used to be Bombay. Mumbai is no where near to Bangalore. I am in no danger here. Life has been altered very little. The attacks were done by Islamic separatists but only the US media has said anything about Al Queda. The bombs were set off in train stations and first class compartments of trains. 180 people have already been reported dead and hundreds injured. But I am in no way in danger.

I’ll try to keep this one short like the last one. I had hoped to add this yesterday but we went on a field trip that I’ll have to fill you in on later. Today I want to finish up with last weeks stuff.

We left Dehli and took a bus 5 hours up the road to Agra. Agra is the home to the Taj Mahal. It’s even more beautiful than I thought it would be. The Taj was built by a king in memoriam of his wife of 22 years. Its almost all white marble. It took 22 years to build. It
Me and the TajMe and the TajMe and the Taj

Self photography has never looked so good.
has 22 little domes on the entrance gate. 22 steps up to the main floor. See a pattern. Actually the king had plans to build an identical Taj in black marble on the other side of river, but his son arrested him and had him locked up for the last 7 years of his life to keep him from bankrupting the dynasty.

The same king also built 2 famous red forts. One in Agra and one just outside. The one in Agra was the most fortified structure I’ve ever been to, in any country. If you were invading you had to fight your way through the following. A 30 ft moat, a double gated entrance, a boxed in courtyard, a second gate that was offset from the first to cut down on elephant attacks (big animals don’t turn well), a third gate and finally a long ramp that defenders could roll big rocks down or pour things off the high walls.

The one outside of town is connected to a mosque that was built in honor of a holy man that blessed a king so that he could have a son. The king had three wives (and 300
Catch-22Catch-22Catch-22

Everything at the Taj Mahal is in 22's. Here are the 22 copulas at the top of the gate.
concubines), one Muslim, one Christian, and one Hindu (very diplomatic). The Hindu wife gave him the son, so she got two palaces in the red fort. Not to upset his other wives, he let them each have a palace that was smaller but of equal value. The Christian’s was covered in gold while the Muslim’s was laden with jewels. Smart man.

We went over to Jaipur next. The highlight of this part of the trip was the big fort we visited that the only way to get to it was by ELEPHANT. Marcus and I rode one named Ronni. She was really nice and they had dressed her up for the occasion by drawing things on her with chalk. We over tipped the driver which resulted in some extra pictures with Ronni. Well worth it.

Well, it took 13 hours of travel to get to our place in Bangalore on Sunday, but we made it. This week has been awesome but that’s a different update.

Thanks guys for the feedback. The news and personal updates were the best. Hope to hear from you soon. God bless!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The Red Fort of AgraThe Red Fort of Agra
The Red Fort of Agra

Agra Fort has some very impressive defenses as well as some great views of the Taj Mahal
Camel herdCamel herd
Camel herd

Not something you see walking down Main Street America everyday
RonniRonni
Ronni

There is our elephant. Unfortunately none of our frieds were nice enough to take our picture on her, but at least we can remember her pretty face.
Me and RonniMe and Ronni
Me and Ronni

Momma, she followed me home. Can I keep her?
Such pretty riceSuch pretty rice
Such pretty rice

great use of a fountain in our hotel


13th July 2006

Luxemboug
Have you ever been to Luxemboug? now that place would be tough to take over. there is a freakin gourge all around the city. its pretty crazy. oh well, stay safe and keep having fun. Im heading up to Venice again this weekend to reminisce about the engagement. talk to you later.
13th July 2006

Cole, we were so happy to hear that you were all right. I went over and stayed with your mom for a while and she gave me a complete update. I had a chance to say hi to Caroline. She was very nice on the phone. A real up beat person, I like that. Hope you are doing well. I love the pictures and the one with you in the skirt is to funny. Take care Love Aunt Cheryl
13th July 2006

Wow
Cole, those pictures are amazing--like something out of National Geographic. Do you want me to forward your updates to other people? If so, please tell me what you want me to do. I'm excited for you and all you are seeing and doing...but you are missed here.
13th July 2006

I can't believe you got to ride an elephant!!
20th July 2006

really cool !
Hi cole uncle fred sent me your blogs and that is really cool and they are good. It looks like you are really getting to see some great things over there . I think i might be going there in the next 12 months so i will know what to do now. anyways I ate at your parents house last week and your dad made soke great pulled pork BBQ hmmmm hmmm it was so good. and got to spend some time with my sister AKA MOM and that was really good also. anyways keep it coming and stay safe. love uncle D

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb