Feels like home.....


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
November 17th 2006
Published: November 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

father & sonfather & sonfather & son

Mike was so impressed by the tandoori chicken at this restaurant, we returned the following lunchtime
Having survived the 36hr train ride we rocked up in Bangalore with a day to fill in and get ourselves sorted before meeting up with my Dad (Mike) - he just happened to be here on business. We stayed in a super smelly yout hostel with single sex dorms so we couldn't even console each other!

The next day we went up to the north of the city to visist the school which Lizzie (my sister) had been working in earlier in the year. We weren't expecting any sort of greating but ended up getting the most amazing welcome from 100 three to five year olds. This included flower garlands, bunches of flowers, songs, lunch and a dressing up show. We were totally over awed by this all! We very badly returned the favour to the kids when the teachers asked us to help teach them a Christmas song ('Go tell it on the mountain'). Soph shyed away from any demonstration singing but we eventually got by with my very sketchy voice, a tape recorder and alot af help from the teachers. We even heard them singing the tune later in the day so something went in!

The school was an incredible place. It was run by local christians for very poor children and orfans who llived with them at the school. The whole set up was very insipiring and was clearly benefiting the community.

Later that day was the arrival of Mike, after meeting him at the airport we returned to our luxury accomodation for the next few days. St Marks Hotel was amazing - buffet breakfast, comfy beds, free tea room service in the morning - which was made even more special since all this has been so far away from us for the past three months. Being called sir and having the doors opened for us did take a lot of getting used to though!

The weekend after this involved a trip to the Bangalore Club (a gentleman's club), a rickshaw tour round the city, visiting the local flower market which was just full of cut flowers for weddings and puja's and a lot of coffee drinking!

Bangalore was fascinating. Although the LP says there is very little to do it is basically a western city in India and we thought was well worht the visit just as a comparision to from cities
cheeky smiles at the Benjamin schoolcheeky smiles at the Benjamin schoolcheeky smiles at the Benjamin school

lizzie taught these little people when she was here earlier this year
that we have seen before. It was worlds away from Varanasi and Delhi.

We left Bangalore on the Train to Kanyakamuri on sleeper class - which was a definite step down form the luxury of St Marks. How ever a few things remained.... the loo roll, tooth brush shampoo and moisturiser we are now carrying to make the luxury live on in little bits of a lives (oh and the croissants, muffins and fruit we took from breakfast!)

Advertisement



27th November 2006

It was great to see you
What about the two Tandoori chicken meals plus Coke that settled my very slightly grumbly stomach after ten hours in the metaphoric hands of Thai Airlines from Tokyo! The curry for breakfast was porbabaly a step too far inot the unknown. TandChick is now a recognised Bangalore cure for Papa-tum (even worse pun there Dan!! )sorry Dad/Mike

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb