Enchanting Pangong Lake : Leh Ladakh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Ladakh » Pangong Tso
December 29th 2010
Published: December 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post



Pangong Lake : Summers in Ladakh

The Pangong Lake or “lake of the great hollow” lies about 160 km to the north-east of Leh across the chang la pass and is considered as the largest lake in Asia. The water is clearer though salty. It is believed that these waters must have been fresh at some ancient age. The mountain ranges at the pangong’s north-western extremity are of lime stones which seem to affect its water.



Pangong lake : First View

The Crystal clear salty water shines in many shades of blue depending upon its depth. It literally changes shades with sunlight. With a backdrop of mountains of various hues and colors, It is a sight for the Gods. At an elevation of 4300 meter, the air is cool even in summers at Ladakh. Pangong Lake is about 4 Km wide on the average and at least 136 Km long. The extent of the known portion is, therefore, upwards of 250 square miles (400 sq km) or about the same size as the holy lake of Mansarovar.



Pangong Lake with backdrop of Snowy Himalayas

Only about a fourth of Pangong Lake is in India-till it takes an easterly turn and disappears into Tibetan territory. Towards the east, pangong is supposed to have sweet water. With its rare black necked cranes and other birds, it is the sight beyond one’s wildest imagination. But sadly Pangong is also ‘sensitive’ with some of the opposite bank being controlled by the Chinese. The man and merak village with the backdrop of the snowy peaks of the pangong range offer a grand view.



Pangong Lake : Map

The series of lakes going under the name of pangong extend over 150 km, the longest lake of the series being 60 km in length and between 3 to 6 km in width. It is a saltwater lake. The color of the water ethereally entrancing passes through the various shades of lovely green and blue as the sun changes its position in the sky or a passing clouds floats over the lake.



Near Spangmik Village : Pangong Lake

The farthest village of pangong area is spangmik located at 6-7 km along the southern shore up to which the foreign tourists are permitted. One can have a spectacular view of mountains of the Chang-Chenmo range to the north west of the Pangong Lake with its image reflecting in the lake’s ever-changing blue blue and green water. Above Spangmik are the glaciers and snow-capped peaks of the Pangong range.

Read more : http://thinkingparticle.com/articles/enchanting-pangong-lake-leh-ladakh

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 47; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb