Tso Moriri Lake : Mountain Lake of Ladakh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Tsomoriri
December 29th 2010
Published: December 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post


Tso Moriri Lake : An Incredible view in Summers

Also Known as ‘Mountain Lake’, Tso Moriri is located in the Rupshu valley situated in Changthang sub division of leh district, The Lake is about 28 km in length from north to south and is about 4-6 km in breadth and about 100 feet average in depth. Maximum depth of Tso Moriri Lake is 248 feet. It’s surrounded by barren hills with backdrop of snow-covered mountains. A Short range of snow covered mountains, which rise about 21000 feet, extends some distance to the north-west and terminates somewhat to north of the southern end of Tso moriri.



Prayers Flag at Tso Moriri Lake

Tso Moriri is a very fine sheet of salty water. It is situated at north latitude 32 54 and east longitude 78 18 and at a height of 15000 feet above the sea level. Tso Moriri Lake has no outlet and the waters are consequently brackish, although not very perceptible to the taste. The water is crystal clear and of a deep blue color.



Tso Moriri Lake was once a popular source of salt. Till 1960 Changpa traders were extracting salt from Tso moriri and sold the same in Leh market. Before 1994, Tso Moriri Lake and southeast ladakh was not open for tourists due to ‘inner line ‘restrictions. Changpas of korzok, the only village on the shore of Tso Moriri were living without much contact with others, following their nomadic life-style and facing severe winters.



Clouds touching the high peaks of Tso Moriri

Tso Moriri is not just a spectacular site but a good place to relax. You can visit the nearby gompas and walk around the lake area. On the way from leh to Tso moriri is another brackish lake,the smaller Tso kar or “white lake”

http://thinkingparticle.com/articles/tso-moriri-lake-mountain-lake-ladakh


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb