Leh - Northern India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Ladakh » Leh
June 24th 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone! Just a quick installment to let you know what we're up to and to write a bit on Leh.

After Srinigar we took a 17hr Jeep ride to Leh which was pretty hair-raising. The driver thought he was Lewis Hamilton and he overtook every vehicle in sight...no matter how close to the edge of the mountain track/road we'd be! We actually drove through a small town called Drass, which, in the Winter, is the second coldest inhabitable place in the world after Siberia. We stayed for a few days in Leh and did a trek for 3 nights and 4 days (the first day of the trek was my birthday!)

Leh is a cute town at 3505m above sea level. They say you shouldn't do any excercise or trekking for the first 36 hours as your body needs to acclimatise. We felt knackered just walking up a small hill through the town on our first day...it really drains you being that high. There isnt loads to see in the town itself. Travellers go there to go on treks from Leh and go to the surrounding villages/trekking in the Himalayas. The town is apart of the Jammu & Kashmir region at the north of India but many want to be an independant region as it's so different to the rest of Jammu & Kashmir, the main difference being that it is predominantly Buddhist.

In Leh itself we went up to the palace which is where the Ladakhi royal family stayed before they were exiled to a nearby town. However the main thing we did in Leh was a homestay trek where you stay with local (Ladakhi) families. We also saw quite a few Buddhist monastries! Some were really beautiful.

Each night was a different experience where we got to know how people lived. In the Winter temperatures go down as low as -30 so these people really have had to survive in harsh conditions, but they are all so friendly and hospitable. On the trek we went through 3 villages- Yantang, Hemis-Shukpachu to Themisgam. The first night was my favourite (it was my birthday) where we stayed in this small house with this 66 year old lady (who did look about 80) and her children. She was such a character and didn't speak a word of English and we didn't speak a word of Ladakhi (apart from Jule (pronounced Joo-lay) which means hello,goodbye,thankyou respectively!) Our guide was from Darjeeling and he spoke Hindi and quite good English so we'd be talking to him..he'd speak Hindi to the son who would translate to Ladakhi to his mother....we had some very long winded conversations going around the room..was a bit like chinese whispers at some points!! We had the local beer called Chang on the first 2 nights which was much needed after a hard day's trekking. The highest pass of the trek was over 4000m. That was a tough day for us and we realised how unfit we were!! We were really annoyed to find out that what we did was actually called the 'baby trek!!'

After Leh and the trek we took another very long jeep ride down to Manali which is where we are now. We go to Dhamarisala later today on a 10hr overnight bus ( this is where the Dalai Lama resides for part of the year) then onto Shimla. Manali is very touristic and not that great.

Will catch up soon, Hope everyone is well! Emma xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The lady at our first homestayThe lady at our first homestay
The lady at our first homestay

This is where they were making the local beer - called Chang. Was quite nice!! Her name was Droma
another mountain passanother mountain pass
another mountain pass

i think i was putting a rock on but they all started falling down on me as Helen took the photo!
the drive to Lehthe drive to Leh
the drive to Leh

This is Helen's photo- these are the roads we were driving along for 17 hours with a driver who thought he was Lewis Hamilton!


24th June 2008

Ladakh
Hi, Really liked your Lewis Hamilton comment...almost fell down laughing....yes the Himalayan roads can be tough....you need a special permit to drive on those roads...... All is well that ends well........ Hope you had a lovely trip Please feel free to write back to me O before i forget.....Yes i am an Indian and i am planning a trip to leh on 30th june 2008 Cheers (Hope to drink a lot of the local beer) Nameste!
27th June 2008

S**t *ol*
looks like a **** **** xxx
27th June 2008

The Weather?
Hi, I really enjoyed reading your entry on Leh. My 17 year old daughter will be arriving there tomorrow and I was trying to find out what the weather is like. It seems according to the India Weather Website and Yahoo that it doesn't exist. Also after seeing the mountain roads I am reassured by the fact that she is flying there from Delhi; hopefully the runway isn't at the edge of a cliff. Thanks again for you narrative.
2nd July 2008

Leh Manali road condition
Hi emma, read your post nd it gave me lot of information which i need before heading for ladakh in the 2nd week of july. But Emma if u know, please tell me wat was the road condition between leh nd manali, i heard there was recent landslide nd road was closed. Hope u must b enjoying in Macleodganj.
11th July 2008

reply
Hi thanks for your comment- the road condition is bumpy at times and scary in parts but definately do-able. We went by mini-bus and had a relatively good driver. I hope that helps- you should be fine. Just check in Leh of the conditions when you are there. Thanks, Emma
11th July 2008

response
Hi Sorry for the late response- the weather was hot in Leh. But not too hot like Delhi. If she is flying in, she will need to acclimatise due to Altitude sickness so she should take it easy for at least 36 hours. We felt knackered for the first 2 days because of how high it is...and we drove in. I've just realised this is a late response as you said she was arriving tomorrow but i hope she's having a good time! Thanks, Emma
4th August 2008

hey thanks for your message! I would say don't book it from Delhi because there are so many rip-off merchants. There is really no need and alot better and cheaper just to book it at one of the agencies in Leh. We went with an agency called Virgo and our homestay trek was fantastic! We didn't book the trek from Delhi but just organised it once we were there. Hope this helps and enjoy your trip :)

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb