Great times in Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Palolem
January 1st 2012
Published: January 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

View from our villa in North GoaView from our villa in North GoaView from our villa in North Goa

Enjoying the sunset on 12/31/11 outside of Candolin, Goa
New Years in Goa was a great ‘grand central station’ connecting point where we saw old friends and met new ones.

We flew from Mumbai to Goa and spent New Years Eve in North Goa, near Candolim. We had a really great time staying at a private villa on the outskirts of town in the hillside. It was our first time using Air B&B and the spacious villa + our taxi driver Frances made the trip work well. Ravi was a champ in scaling the many sets of stairs to the villa, given his fractured ankle and crutches. It was great to spend time with Ravi, Nikhil, Raj, who was in the area with his GIE immersion trip from Wharton, and Ravi’s friend from the Fletcher school (Tufts), Jackie, and her brother Mike.

The group got along well and it was great to ring in 2012 with friends. We celebrated by having dinner and drinks at a beach bar, and watched the reflection of the fireworks dance on the ocean. We met a mix of locals, Europeans, and a few Americans at the beachfront bar, it was great to learn about the work and travels of expats living in
New Year's Eve on the beachNew Year's Eve on the beachNew Year's Eve on the beach

Ringing in the new year with Nikhil and Ravi on the beach in Goa, India
India and other travelers passing through.

After a couple of days in North Goa, we sought a quieter and prettier beach in South Goa, Palolem Beach. Although packed with tourists in this high season, the area maintains a low-profile, casual vibe. Local zoning prohibits the ‘buildup’ of beachfront and does not allow any concrete construction. The beach area is all made of thatched roof beach huts, which rolls up and gets taken away completely each monsoon season. Ravi set us up well and secured two beachfront cottages at Café del Sol Beach Bar, Café, and Wooden Beach Cottages. Kostek and I tried morning beginner Hatha Yoga which was just what the Dr. ordered after many flights, train, and bumpy car rides!

The past few days have been nice and relaxing, we’ve met up with Ravi’s friend Peter from Copenhagen, along with his friends who are also celebrating the holidays in Palolem. Nice group dinners and sea kayaking rounded out our leisurely stay in the south of Goa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Copenhagen reunites in IndiaCopenhagen reunites in India
Copenhagen reunites in India

Peter, Ravi, and Kostek meet again all together after 11 years
Ravi enjoying the beachRavi enjoying the beach
Ravi enjoying the beach

Ravi gets comfortable despite crutches and enjoys the beach and views
Sunset views from PalolemSunset views from Palolem
Sunset views from Palolem

Beautiful sunset on Palolem Beach
Palolem beachPalolem beach
Palolem beach

view of the beachfront in Goa, India


5th January 2012

Amazing
New Year's Eve in Goa sounds like a lot of fun! This place is amazing. I am so jealous for you - in Poland it is cold and gray weather. I bet you have a lot of fun with friends and the picture of CPH re-union after 11 years was amazing. I remember meeting you all back then. I wish you all to have more re-unions around the world. Have fun at Ravi's parents. I wish you some homey time there which you might miss already. Enjoy rest of the trip. We can't wait to see more pictures from more amazing places.

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0972s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb