Palolem for Christmas and New Year...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Palolem
January 8th 2011
Published: January 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So what can I say about the last month in Goa? It’s been a complete rollercoaster, I’ve stayed a lot longer than I expected and I have left the direct area surrounding Palolem a lot less than expected! Kev and I arrived alone in Palolem from Hampi at 5 am, seeing no other option we agreed to pay an overpriced rickshaw fare to take us to a beach hut that would be able to put us up for the rest of the night. In true brother and sister style we fought like children on the bus, leaving us both tired and irritable. Finally after settling in separate locations we start making friends. Kev meets John, Janine and Gilda who live in the same row of huts as him, we eventually all move here (Ma Ritas) and call the street Ramset Street. This bunch loves a drink and it becomes quickly apparent that Ramsey Street is going to be all night party town. Settling down to sunbathe, who appears…. Johnny, Jane and Becka with a new recruit Peter. At this point it’s all over and we spend the next 3 weeks living a total beach bum lifestyle.

During this I did actually manage to get to some of Wendy’s yoga classes (Wendy buttery @dreamcatcher) and also try out a pure ashtanga teacher ‘Kranti’ just behind CUBA on the beach. Kranty is militant, love his class but missed Wendy’s teaching and finally ended up practising with her more. Have learnt how to deal with an injury I acquired in Varkala (when Chris stood on me) and I also learnt some great stretches that I want to incorporate into my daily practice.

Christmas and New Year were great. John cooked us up an ace steak BBQ on the beach and the lovely Becka bought us all a little santa bag filled with goodies. We decked out all of our huts with fairy lights, tinsel, nativity lights etc etc and wore santa hats all day. Mum arrived on the 26th after her flight was cancelled from the snow in the UK. Much to mums dismay we had booked her into what we considered to be a luxury beach hut. Turns out that people’s concept of luxury varies dramatically and after 3 days she booked herself in the 5* intercontinental….. which turned out to be the greatest thing ever for all of us!!! Daily saunas….jacuzzi….steam room….private beach….pool… amazing room…the wifi I’m using now…happy days.

Palolem is beautiful, the accommodation is basic beach huts and there are a huge amount of English people and two week tourists which push up the prices to a totally unmanageable level for a traveller over the Christmas and New Year period. Regardless you can get some good food, a beach bed and the weather is truly perfect everyday. We took a few trips, we went to turtle beach on bikes a few times, turtle beach is an almost empty mile long stretch of white sand and great waves. The sea is clearer than in Palolem and the little café at the side serves fantastic sea food at a low price (like 50Rps for six gorgeous oysters). We took a boat over to Cola beach, which is another stunning beach with a fresh water lake pouring into the sea. The fresh water is cold and a treat to swim in.

There have been some fantastic musicians on Palolem and we have enjoyed a lot of live music on the beach (especially this Swedish band who rocked and were totally hot). I’m living with Johnny in a street room now. Bit more expensive but it is so much easier to live off the street than the beach and I feel better. I gave up alcohol for 2011, so feeling great at the moment, practicing every day, lost a lot of weight and am generally excited about my continuing travelling and practicing. Heading up to Mumbai with Johnny tomorrow after my mum leaves. I’m going to miss her a lot!!!!

I brought the wrong memory card today so will upload pics later.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb