Goa - Benaulim & Palolem (1st - 5th Feb)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Benaulim
February 5th 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi Guys,

Benaulim was lovely. Not being content with laying on the beach like normal folk, Dan decided a 20km hike was in order. And so we trekked along the beach as far as we could until we reached an estuary (I think we got about half-way to Palolem). We left at 8am and finally returned to our shack at 5pm. Luckily there were plenty of restaurants along the way, so we kept fully stocked up with water and ice creams. It was really nice to get away from all the hussle and bussle and at times it felt like we were the only ones on the beach.

While at Benaulim, we also took in a dolphin trip one morning. We saw loads of dolphins although at quite a distance, but they were still very cool to watch.

As nice as Benaulim was, we’d heard that Palolem was supposed to be even more idyllic so this is where we headed next. We could have easily stayed in Benaulim for a week but forced ourselves on, and it was worth it.

Palolem is prettier than Benaulim, although it is slightly more touristy, however it’s no way near as touristy as Colva. There are a couple of roads leading to the beach that are packed with little Indian stalls/shops and restaurants (an Italian, a Mexican and the ‘Smugglers Inn’, which sells very English food!), and there are shacks and restaurants all along the beach but they are very unimposing. The beach is not chock-a-block with sunbathers and there is a beautiful rocky area you can walk to at low tide where you can see an amazing sunset.

We’re staying in a very interesting beach hut on stilts that has a nice varanda but no bathroom, though the communal toilet and shower aren’t bad. The shack is called D’Costa and has a very good restaurant which does an amazing tuna sandwich and fresh juices.

This morning we went on a boat trip around the backwaters, a taster for Kerala, and this afternoon we’re hoping to go on another dolphin trip, as reccomended by the Dess family (from Ranthambhore).

Then it’s off to Kerala tomorrow morning. We have a flight booked (all trains were full & the bus would have taken two days) at 8.30am and it only lasts an hour or so, so we should be there before lunch.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



7th February 2007

let's face the moooo-sic and dance
hey there you two - it sounds as if you're having a splendid time - wow - amazing stories from bandh.... - good to see the transfer of luck travelled with you!! have fun in kerala - keep an eye out fo otters! hope you are both well and healthy. lots of love hannah and charlie

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb