OLD COUPLES YATRA TO HOLY HILLS (8)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh
April 29th 2011
Published: April 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

OLD COUPLES YATRA TO HOLY HILLS (8)

31st January, 2010 – Sunday.

Sripuram, is the Golden Mahalakshmi Temple constructed in a village known as Malaikodi, a small village, which is at a distance of about 10 km from Vellore. There is a frequent direct Bus Service fromVellore Bus Stand for the benefit of pilgrims reaching Vellore by Bus.

MAHALAKSHMI GOLDEN TEMPLE

The Golden Mahalakshmi Temple was constructed on 100 acres of land by Shri Narayani Peetham headed by a spiritual leader popularly known as Narayani Amma. There is already an old Mahalakshmi Temple in the village and by the side of it the Golden Temple was constructed. It is said that more than 1500 kgs of Gold was used to build this temple and the entire temple, the walls, sikharam and pillars were covered with Golden sheets with intricate carvings and sculptures. It is said that it took seven years to construct the temple and the same was inaugurated and opened for public view from 24th August, 2007. The cost of construction is said to be around Rs.600 crores and more than 400 gold and coppersmiths from Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam worked for 6 years to bring it to the present shape of a beautiful temple and hailed by pilgrims as one of the WONDERS OF THE WORLD. Hitherto Golden Temple means we immediately remember the Sikh Gurudwara Temple in Amritsar. But at present, the Mahalakshmi Temple is the only temple covered fully with the gold in the world. When enquired one of the officials of the temple stated that the gold bars were directly purchased through Reserve Bank of India in a ‘transparent manner’ to avoid future problems from Central Excise and other revenue authorities and also from public and others.

Regarding the intricacies of construction, it is explained by one of the temple officials that first the coppersmiths created a copper base on the temple structure with engravings and then the gold sheets beaten into nine layers of foils were draped around the statutes and pillars, etc. The Moola Viraat of Mahalakshmi Idol was made of a granite stone and covered with golden kavacham and ornaments such as Kireetam, jewellery of Necklaces, Haramas, etc. Regarding security and thefts of the golden pieces, it is explained that the golden sheets have been laid out in such a manner that it would cost more to rip off the gold than purchase of the gold. The plan and design of the temple had been in the shape of Sri Chakra in the centre of the area with green landscape. One has to walk along the star shaped path to reach the main temple. The entire walking path is covered and benches had been laid on either side of the path for the old and infirm pilgrims to sit and take rest. On either side of the path messages from Bhagavadgeetha, Vedas, Puranas, Bible, Quran, and Religious books of different religions and spiritual leaders and also of Narayani Amma, the spiritual leader, who had undertaken the construction of the temple, have been displayed. It is said that in the night when lights are on, the temple from an airplane looks and glitters like a star on the earth.


31st January, 2010 – MONDAY

In the morning we were ready by 8 AM to visit the Golden Temple. We purchased Rs.100 ticket for visit. My Mrs.Girija Vardhani hired a wheel chair as she was not in a position to walk about 1 km of the path. Reading the messages from various religious texts we slowly moved along with the covered path hearing divine music now and then and enjoying the beauty of the neat and green surroundings of the temple. We reached the main temple in about 40 minutes. The main temple is surrounded by water and is completely covered by golden sheets The corridor is in a round shape, covered by water on three sides. Free darshan pilgrims have to witness the idol from a distance while donor ticket holders from the mantapam in front of the Garbha Gudi. Pilgrims those who purchased archana tickets can witness the idol from a lesser distance. Maintenance of neatness is not a born character for many of the pilgrims. Several coins, currency notes and visiting cards are thrown into the water making the site a little ugly. Actually, the water is provided around the temple, to witness the image of the temple in the water during day time and in lights during night. A similar view of famous Srisaila Goldem Sikharam along with Trisulam on the Sikharam can be seen from the Manohara Gundam situated by the side of the Srisaila Gopuram. The coins, currency notes and visiting cards defeat the purpose clearly seeing the gopuram in waters. No steps were taken by the temple authorities preventing the throw of coins, currency notes, visiting cards, etc. Still, the view of the temple in the water in the morning hours is beautiful and it is said that the view would be wonderful during nights in the glittering of light provided by electricity. We returned to the main gate by 10 am and after taking rice prasadam and purchasing a 2 gram golden replica of the Mahalkshmi golden idol, we proceeded to the original temple of Mahalakshmi situated in the opposite lane of the Golden Temple. The Mula Virat of Mahalskhsmi in the original temple with golden ornaments is oozing divinity compared to the Golden Idol in the golden temple. By 11 am we returned to our lodge after taking breakfast and decided to vacate the room and proceed to Chennai.

We reached Chennai by 2 pm and proceeded directly to the residence of my sister in Yeswantpur near Tambaram. We intimated about our arrival and lunch was ready by the time we reached the house of my sister where my sister and b-i-l who retired as teachers are spending their retired life in this house which is away from the main city and provides a village like atmosphere. As the house has two spare bed rooms we have no difficulty in staying in the house with comfort and my sister insisted that we should not go to any Hotel for stay. With great reluctance that we are causing inconvenience to an old couple Mr.& Mrs.VK agreed to stay bowing to the affection shown by my sister. As we are all suffering from throat infection, cough and slight fever, we took complete rest on the day of arrival and also the next day.

2nd FEBRUATY, 2011 – WEDNESDAY.

‘ To day after taking breakfast we decided to visit the famous Kamakshmi Temple in Mangadu on the outskirts of Madras City. I always made it a point to visit this temple whevever I visit Chennai. The Goddess Kamakshmi Amman here is a very powerful deity and a visit to this temple and darsham of the Goddess provides peace and joy. We requested my b-i-l to accompany us for these visits for which he kindly agreed.
MANGADU KAMAKSHMI AMMAN TEMPLE


According to Sthalapuranam, once Lord Shiva directed Parvati to perform severe penance for a small default committed by her, and the Goddess took the maiden form in the name of Kamakshi and started her penance standing on the Panchagni and on the edge of trisulam in a forest of Mango grove. The idol in the Mangadu temple can be seen as Kamakshi resting the left leg on the trisulam and folding the right leg and holding a japamala on her left hand raised above her head. Pleased with the penance of Kumari Kamakshmi Lord Shiva took her to Kancheepuram and married her there. When Goddess Kamakshi left Mangadu, a severe fire broke in the mango grove and she left the place without taking any steps for extinguishing the fire. It is believed that Shri Adi Sankaracharya visited this place and installed SRI ARDHAMERU CHAKRAM AND EXTINGUISHED THE FIRE. The SRI CHAKRAM IN THIS TEMPLE IS SAID TO BE A RARE SRI CHAKRAM IN INDIA. The Ardhameru Sri Chakram in this temple is the chief divinity and kumkuma puja performed here fulfils the wishes of the devotees. As the Ardha Meru Sri Chakram is made up of herbals, no abhishekam is performed here.
It is firmly believed by pilgrims that if any unmarried girl offers vows to Goddess Kamakshi here, she gets married very soon. So also childless couple. They perform a Lemon vratam i.e., they offer 2 lemons to Goddess and the priest returns one lemon back and this lemon should be kept in their house. Next week they should take this lemon along with two more lemons. After puja, the priest returns one lemon and this procedure continues for six weeks. On the seventh visit, the devotee offers pooja in the temple along with sweet pongal and sweet milk which are distributed to the other worshippers in the temple and then the wishes of the devotee is fulfilled very shortly.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
RAGHAVARAO U.V.G.V. DUGGIRALA,
HYDERABAD, 29th APRIL, 2011.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb