OLD COUPLES KASHI YATRA VIA KHAJURAHO (9)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad » New Santoshnagar
January 4th 2010
Published: January 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

OLD COUPLES KASHI YATRA VIA KHAJURAHO (9)

12th October, 2007 - Friday.

After visiting the Rama Janma Bhoomi sthal, we returned to the room and had breakfast. As we have seen all important places in Ayodhya, we decided to make a move and proceed towards Gaya via Patna. On the way we wished to halt in Gorakhpur for night halt and visit the famous Gorakshanath temple. The Manager of Rampathi Niwas Dharmashala stated that there is a Dharmashala attached to the Gorakshanath temple which provides good accommodation. In fact the city is named Gorakhpur after the famous yogi Gorakshanath. Yogi Gorakshnath is the chief disciple of Yogi Matsyendranath who founded the Nath Sampradaya line of Saints.

Here a few words about Yogi Matsyendranath who lived in 10th century. It is said that Yogi Matsyendranath was created by Lord Shiva taking a certain percentage from each of the five elements so that His creation would be more powerful than the creation of Lord Brahma. As Yogi Matsyendranath was created from the five elements, he is indestructible. After creating the Yogi, Lord Shiva bestowed on him all his knowledge, thoughts, philosophies and power.

Gorakhpur is also the home to the Gita Press, Publishers of many Hindu holy texts in many languages. I find that many of the religious books published in Telugu are from Gita Press and are free from printing mistakes and also comparatively cheaper with quality printing. It is also said that Gita Press was the first to publish Bhagavad Gita text as a book; prior to this the Gita existed solely in the oral tradition of the Brahmins and on palmyrah leaves.

We started at 10-30 am from Ayodhya. Slowly we reached the outskirts of Gorakhpur travelling through the towns Basti and Khalilabad. The roads in this line are bad and the approaching road on the outskirts of Gorakhpur was the worst - the pot holes on the main road are as deep as three to four feet and very wider. Finding that there is still a two hours travelling time in the day we decided to proceed to the next town Kushinagar, which is one of the four sacred places named by Gauthama Buddha and also the place where Buddha attained final Nirvana from this world. We reached this place by 5-30 pm and directly proceeded to the Rahi Guest House; but unfortunately no accommodation was available as all rooms were booked by some Buddhist pilgrims. The Manager advised us to go to International Guest House where there would be plenty of accommodation available. Though this lodge is situated in a large area, the furniture including the beds and bedsheets in the rooms are dirty and worst. The watchman searched all rooms and brought some good blankets and changed the beds. There are plenty of mosquitoes and added to it power cut. After sometime the Manager came and said that if some additional amount is given (Rs.200) he will purchase diesel and start generator if there is power cut. We gladly accepted as there is no other alternative. After settling in the rooms, we went to a roadside restaurant and purchased biscuits and puris and returned to the rooms and decided to visit the important places next day morning.

Next day morning when we were awake at about 5 am we found that the corridors are full of tourists sleeping in the verandah and some preparing tea and rotis on the stoves brought along with them and some taking bath in a nearby well. On enquiry we found that these are tourists from villages in the border of Nepal and brought by tourist bus operators on a group tourism to Buddhist Pilgrimage places. We negotiated with the watchman to supply hot water for us and after taking bath, we vacated the rooms and proceeded to visit the places and from there direct to next place of halt i.e., Patna.

ABOUT KUSHINAGAR

This place was rediscovered in the years between 1800 and 1900 on account of archeological excavations by Britishers and it is they who found the Buddha’s cremation ground, etc. At a place near Hiranyavati River, Gautama Buddha attained Parinirvana i.e., the final Nirvana after falling ill from eating a contaminated meal. In the puranas it is found as the city built of King Kusa son of Sri Rama. This place was visited by the Chinese Tourist Hiouen Thsang and he described in his travelogue the importance of the place and the temples built on the relics of Buddha.


PLACE KNOWN AS MAKUTABANDHANA, THE CREMATION SITE OF GAUTAMA BUDDHA’s BODY.

It is said that one-eighth of the Buddha’s relics were deposited in a cairn in Kusinagar and honoured by the Rulers since then.



The Parinirvana Temple with the Parinirvana Stupa in Kushinagar.

The remains of Parinirvana Stupa and the Temple when rediscovered by Britishers were covered in a 40 foot high mound of bricks surrounded by a forest.

Today Kushinagar is a much visited pilgrimage site for Indian and Foreign tourists, especially from Buddhist countries. As in Saranath many countries following Buddhisim such as Chinese, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Burma, South Korea, Tibet, Japanese, etc., built temples along side the ruins of monasteries and Stupas.

13th October, 2007 - Saturday.

After visiting all the important places in the car, we started at 7-30 an to proceed to Patna for the next night halt. We travelled via Gopalganj, Siwan, Chapra, Hajipur. The distance between Kusinagar and Patna is 260 km and we reached the place by 6-30 pm passing through the world famous longest Mahatma Gandhi Setu bridge over the River Ganges. This Brdige is the longest in the world - 5575 m long. Here we stayed in the guest house-cum-office of IVRCL, which was arranged by my son who is working in this Company. The cook attached to the Guest House prepared dinner for us and after taking dinner we rested for the day.

PATNA - THE OLD PATALIPUTRA

Ancient Pataliputra is one of the oldest continuously inhabited places in the world (just like Kasi) and was the capital of the Magadha Empire. Its population during the Maurya period is said to be 4 Lakhs! Hearing about its mighty armed forces, even the World Conqueror, Great Alexander did not venture to invade Magadha! The modern city Patna is situated on the southern bank of the Ganges and straddles the rivers Kosi, Sone and Gandak. Patna City is unique in the world having four large rivers in its vicinity! Throughout our journey of hundreds of kilometres in Bihar we found plenty of water sources on either side of the road. In fact we noticed that most of the colonies before entering Patna City were in the middle of the water pools - one has to walk in knee deep water to reach his house. It is strange that with plenty of such water resources, the State and its people are backward and are known for Goondaism type of living!

The Manager of Dharmashala at Ayodhya warned that we will know the goodness of residents of UP, the moment we enter Bihar and come across with people there! Such a strange reputation of Biharese! One of the employees of IVRCL knowing that we are going to Gaya volunteered to help us in locating a good lodge in Gaya. He stated that his sister is residing in Gaya and he telephoned her to name a good hotel for our stay in Gaya. She has suggested two Hotels for a decent stay. This gentleman informed that we should be very careful in Gaya and goondaism towards outsiders is rampant in Gaya. He warned us not to speak in our language as it may give a clue to rowdy elements that we are from outside!

During the night itself I telephoned to Shri Kannayya Lal, a Purohit in Gaya making arrangements to Telugu speaking people from Andhra Pradesh. He made arrangements for our stay in Lakshmi Bhavan Rest House managed by the Local Gaya Welfare Committee and promised to meet us there. The Rest House is very nearer to the Vishnu Temple on the banks of Phalguni River.

14th October, 2007 - Sunday.

We leisurely started at 9 am from Patna and reached Gaya via Jahanabad by 12 noon. The distance between Patna and Gaya is about 112 km. At the outskirts of Gaya we telephoned Shri Kannayya Lal who gave directions to reach Lakshmi Bhavan Rest House and stated that his son would be waiting there for us. When we reached the Rest House Shri Kannayya Lal was waiting along with his son Shri G. Manohar. We settled in the Rooms and discussed about our Pindapradana Karyakramams the next day. He said he will make all arrangements and pick us from our Rest House at 7 am. We also informed him that after Shraddha Karyakramam is over we wish that two Bhoktas each (for me and for my friend) may be arranged and abdeekam type of meals be arranged, for which he agreed to have the same in the house of a Maharashtra Brahmin House. We also expressed our desire to see Bodh Gaya this afternoon. He immediately arranged a three wheeler to take us to Bodh Gaya and show all important places there. After lunch and taking a brief rest we proceeded to Bodh Gaya at 3 pm in the three wheeler waiting for us in the Rest House.

ABOUT GAYA AND BODH GAYA

Gaya derives its name from the mythological demon Gayasur who was ruling the earth. Though he was a pious demon, his followers were creating havoc. The devatahas hatched a plan to kill Gayasur to get rid of the troubles created by his followers and approached him to help them in performing a homam and to provide a suitable place - the suitable place being his body. The condition is that he should not move his body while the Homam is in progress. The Gayasur agreed to this Homam performed on his body for one night. The Devathas felt that he will move his body on account of the heat generated by the Homam. But Gayasur did not move. Thinking that the Demon will be more powerful if the Homam is successfully completed, the Devathas hatched a plan and made it appear that the night is over and day is approaching. Lord Shiva in the form of a Cock made sounds indicating the day. Thinking that the night is over, Gayasur moved and found that he was tricked. Then, Lord Vishnu killed Gayasur, by using the pressure of his foot over him. At this place a temple was constructed which is known as VISHNUPADA TEMPLE. The most popular temple today in Gaya is this VISHNUPADA TEMPLE, a place along the Falguni River, marked by the footprint of Lord Vishnu incised into a block stone, that marks the act of Lord Vishnu subduing Gayasur by placing his foot on Gayasur’s chest.

VISHNUPADA TEMPLE IN GAYA ON THE BANKS OF RIVER PHALGUNI -- The Buddhists regard the foot step in the temple as that of Lord Buddha who is regarded as avatar of Lord Vishnu.

Because of the trick, Lord Vishnu gave boons to Gayasur fulfilling his wish that Lord Vishnu and Devathas should live in his body, after his death. The Head is said to be the Gaya, the Nabhi of Gayasur is said to be Jajpur(Nabhi Gaya) in Orissa and the feet in Pithapuram in AP which is known as Pada Gaya. Lord Shiva is worshipped in Pithapuram as Lord Kukkuteswara. Pinda Pradanams to ancestors at these places will provide moksham by removing their sins and energy to the souls of ancestors as per the dictum of Lord Vishnu granted to Gayasur. It was also ordained that Gayasur had the power to absolve sins of those who touched him or looked at him; hence many persons since then are flocking to Gaya to perform Shraddha sacrifices on his body to absolve the sins of their ancestors.

According to Ramayan, Lord Rama came to Gaya along with Sita to perform Pindapradanam to his ancestors. Sita appears to have cursed the Falguni River following some disobedience shown to her on the part of the River. On account of these curse Falguni Rier lost its water and it became vast stretch of sand dunes. At the same time Sita blessed a Banyan Tree on the banks of the River to be immortal. This Banyan Tree is known as Akshaya Vata Vriksh under which one set of Pindas are offered to the ancestors. On account of Sita’s Blessings, this Tree never decays and it is also seen that this Tree never sheds its leaves (even in the season of Fall) which keeps it Green even in times of drought. Generally those who perform pinda pradanam under this tree will never use the plates prepared by Banyan Leaves for taking their food.

OM TAT SAT OM TAT SAT OM TAT SAT

RAGHAVARAO U.V.G.V. DUGGIRALA,
HYDERABAD, 4th JANUARY, 2010.


Advertisement



4th January 2010

good desciption of the journey..
5th January 2010

Old Couples Kashi Yatra via Khajuraho (9)
Thank you.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb