Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
July 11th 2008
Published: July 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone from Saigon, Vietnam! We flew in from Hong Kong yesterday after an excellent few days in the shopping capital (or one of them) of the world! It certainly was a change after India. Our last couple of days in Mumbai were fun - we met some Indian guys who showed us around and went to see a Bollywood film called Love Story 2050. It really was an experience- it had reclining seats, trays for your dinner and an interval. Not like UK Cinema's! We even went for a swim in the Four Seasons at night! We had to turn down a part in a Bollywood movie (as an extra in a restaurant scene) because we had our flight to Hong Kong. We stayed in a 4 bed dorm in HK so got to meet a few travellers along the way.

Hong Kong is an amazing city and i really enjoyed it. Although it wasn't a dream backpackers destination due to the fact that it's quite expensive (for us!) and all the shops tempt you into buying something, we had a brilliant time. On our first day there we got the boat to Hong Kong island which is where all the corporate buildings are and where the good bars are! We stayed in Kowloon on the mainland though and discovered a few bars there too!

We watched the famous light show which goes off every night and also did the legendary tram ride where you get stunning views of all the buildings lit up at night from the peak. It really was like nothing i've ever seen before! We tested a few bars out aswell with some live music....all good stuff! The most interesting place was this toilet restaurant where you sit on the toilet whilst drinking out of a urinal. Sound disgusting? Well Helen's chocolate tea and my turd shaped ice cream was delicious. What will they think of next??? There were lots of markets too which sold everything anyone will ever need... fake handbags galore!! After India this place seemed so clean too and it was a nice change. I did the History Museum which was really interesting as i didn't have much of an idea about the history of HK. I didn't realise it was a British colony until 1997! Now they are part of China but still consider themselves to be very different. They consider themselves to be, 'one country, two systems.' I learnt all about the opium wars too!

Ok so we're in Saigon now and spending a couple more days here before heading a little further north... no fixed plans yet though


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

garden in the citygarden in the city
garden in the city

We went to a garden/monastery in the city which was very peaceful
Out on the townOut on the town
Out on the town

with James, Aussie from our dorm


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb