Hong Kong! Day 3


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
March 4th 2012
Published: March 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 3

Today we headed to Lantau Island to see the Tian Tan Buddha (or big Buddha as I call it) Its a bit of a trek away from the city, up amongst the hills and mountains. We were meant to get a cable car up but it wasn't running so we got a bus instead. At one point on the journey we could see the big Buddha up on the mountains in the distance. When we arrived at Ngong Ping we headed over to see the Buddha close up. We approached a long staircase and at the top, perched on a giant lotus flower sat the Buddha. It was such a fantastic sight to see. We headed up to the top of the stairs to get a closer inspection. Afterwards we went for a walk down the wisdom path where we came across lines of huge, wooden pillars with chinese writing carved into them. The text represents the Old Heart Sutra, a prayer that is used by Confucians, Buddhists and Taoists.

That night we went to the avenue of the stars to watch the symphony of lights, a light show in which the buildings across the skyline light up in sync to music and lasers shoot out from the top of sky-scrapers igniting the whole sky. Sounds good? well it was pish! A lot of mist had moved down from the mountains and engulfed most of the buildings so there wasn't much of a light show at all. Symphony of lights, more like symphony of SHITE!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb