Day Twenty-Six - Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
January 15th 2010
Published: February 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

HK - Ngong Ping & Tian Tian


Day Twenty-Six - Speechless Giggling Gurls



When the alarm went off at 3.15am it wasn’t welcomed in any way. We got up, woke the girls and checked out. A short walk over the Terminal and a straightforward check in was followed by some more ATM hoopla. Once sorted we got some much needed juice.
Immigration was cleared quickly and after an hour in the departure lounge, we were brought forward to board. We walked out onto the apron where about six flights were boarding at once. People were confused despite being told which stand to board at and went in all directions. It was getting normal by now.

Onboard they didn’t have our meal sorted, which was a bit annoying, but I don’t think we missed out on much. Once we landed and got through, we made up for it with some quality Japanese food. By now, we were all a bit weary with the early start and no one was really on form.

We headed for the taxis and I tried to get him to acknowledge the destination before setting off on the quiet. Sadly he repeated it in the car - I think Leanne got an inkling but not Shannon, doh. I’m not sure if Leanne realised we were staying there - they knew we were going to a funpark next day.

As we came to the motorway, we started picking up Disney signs and Leanne had a Cheshire on. Shannon wasn’t quite up to speed but once the signs with the Mickey head symbol were pointed out things clicked.

There was no real excitement until the car started up ‘Fantasy Road’ and the welcome arch could be seen. The giggling started and speechlessness and squeals became the only thing from all three of their mouths for the next three hours.

I went to check in but that was the desk for the common folk! We were taken up in a cool wrought iron elevator to the Executive Floor - The Kingdom Club. In the Kingdom Club Lounge, the girls were brought a drink to the couches as I completed check in sat at a desk to the side. Firstly, Shannon’s birthday badge appeared, then our special passes to the park, fast track queue jumpers, and then we headed off to our room.

It was lovely, with a balcony looking towards HK Island and over the pool area. The finish was typical Disney - Mickey heads in the carpet and the balcony; the Seven Dwarfs, Snow White & her Evil Step-Mother carved into the Mirror; and robes and slippers for all. A butler was on call for anything we needed.

Still squealing, the girls were dragged down from the ceiling long enough for us to leave the room. We took a quick scan of the hotel finding the indoor pool for Leanne’s planned 7am swim. Next was the Mickey Maze and up into the lobby to meet Mulan. Shannon’s name and birthday wishes were on display on the lobby screens. A quick look around the shop ensured a hit on Mr Visa was on the way but that could wait.

We took a cab back to Citygate Mall near the airport so that we could board the Ngong Ping cable car. This six-kilometre ride would take us up over the hills to the Tian Tan Buddha, a huge 34m bronze seated statue on a hilltop. The half-hour cable car ride was very smooth and although Angela had a few nerves we all enjoyed it immensely - it made Mt Titlis in Switzerland seem a rollercoaster in comparison.

There is a small constructed ‘real Chinese’ village at the top that isn’t as bad as it sounds. We took advantage of the sunny day to relax with some ice cream before taking on the 268 steps to the Buddha. Once there it was worth it with great views across the west of the island.

The Buddha itself towered above and shimmered in the changing light. It was as an impressive sight close up as it was from afar. Instead of returning on the cable car, we took a bus back down which was far more hair-raising, racing down the hill and swinging around tight corners.

Back at Citygate, we tried to find some warmer clothes as it was a mere 20*C but only Shannon and I got sorted. We were up against time too, wanting to get back for the 7pm fireworks. We made it back and settled in the Club Room with canapés, desserts and a gorgeous red wine before watching the fireworks from the balcony. Slightly underwhelmed we retired for more delicious treats.

At first we were reluctant to venture back to Kowloon but we needed presents and some tat for ourselves so we jumped on the shuttle bus to the Disney MTR station. It was unbelievable but again so Disney. Every column was Mickey’s magic hat and the train windows were his head logo. The train was laid out differently to standard ones with long couches and even the rings to grab when standing were again Mickey heads.

It connects to one of the mainlines that delivered us the whole way to Mongkok a month after we had been there last. The bustle and energy in the air brought us to life and we got amongst it. Bartering for charms, Buddhas, kimonos, money kitties and whatever else, we tore up the Ladies Market before a quick yomp (at Angela’s insistence) to Temple St. I remarked on the heavy police presence there, probably due to the acid attacks a few weeks before and Angela lost a lot of enthusiasm for the area…

The trip back was around midnight yet Leanne found enough energy to walk the entire Disney train to see all the little statuettes on it. As we got on the shuttle bus for the hotel and sat shivering (18* temp reading on it), we laughed about how we had shorts and t-shirts on in slightly cooler weather, three and a half weeks before. The few weeks of 30* 24/7 had spoilt us. A quick look on my phone at the latest weather in Belfast (encouragingly going up to 5*) had us worried.

As the girls settled down to watch Breakfast At Tiffanys in the room, I settled into the bath to watch it on the TV there, enjoying my first shamu for a month. Simple pleasures folks, simple pleasures…

Today’s Highlights Tian Tian/Ngong Ping; the Disney ‘magic’ working a treat; and a SHAMU AT LAST




Additional photos below
Photos: 154, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 15; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb