Po Lin Monastery


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
April 2nd 2009
Published: April 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

First GlanceFirst GlanceFirst Glance

The first glimpse of the Tian Tan Buddha after stepping off the bus.

Po Lin Monastery and the Tian Tan Buddha



Visiting the Tian Tan Buddha - also known as the Big Buddha - at the Po Lin Monastery is a wonderful experience in Hong Kong. It can be a little bit of a slog to get there, two ferries and a bus, but the majesty of the Buddha is worth the trip. And on the bus trip to the monastery you get to share the road with free range cattle!

The Tan Tan Buddha is actually a fairly recent addition to the Po Lin Monastery. The Buddha statue was started in 1990, and completed in 1993. The statue is 34 metres (110 feet) high, and on a clear day can be seen as far away as Macau. There are eight smaller statues of bodhisattvas that surround the main statue.

The monastery is also open to the public, and you can have a vegetarian meal either in the dining hall or at the snack bar in the garden. I am most definitely NOT vegetarian, but the meal was filling and tasty.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Walking upWalking up
Walking up

There are 268 steps to get to the base of the Buddha. This is the largest seated outdoor Buddha statue in the world.
The hand of BuddhaThe hand of Buddha
The hand of Buddha

The position of the open right hand of the Buddha symbolizes that wisdom is accessible to all.
MonksMonks
Monks

Monks live, work, and pray at this site.


Tot: 0.36s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 33; qc: 129; dbt: 0.2202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb