Lantau Island and Buddha


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
July 14th 2007
Published: August 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Note: After I posted the last entry, M was disappointed that I was using the same initial to refer to multiple people. Therefore, to clearly identify her going forward, she "insists" on being referred to as something different. We have agreed on "MMM" which stands for M Mei Mei, which means "little sister" in Chinese. 😊

We stayed at J's new apartment for two nights. She had some extra space at her apartment as she awaits her new roommate P to arrive. J's place was very modern, clean and nice! Her rent is pretty comparable to a new SoMa apartment, if not more. Yikes!

Disappointed with our shopping experience, MMM and I went over to Launtau Island to check out Giant Tian Tan Buddha, which is the world's largest seated outdoor bronze Buddha. A few weeks ago, one of the tram cars that takes visitors up to the Buddha fell off the track. No one was hurt, but caused the tram to be out of service and we had to take this horrible public bus up to the mountain to see the Buddha. The road up to the Buddha was narrow, steep and winding and a bit scary. We got to the top of the mountain and climbed up 260 steps to the Buddha. It was a great view on top of the mountain, and the Buddha is quite large! The temperature in HK that day reached a record high. It was hot!

After we got back from our excursion to Lantau, MMM, J and I went out to eat with J's friends at a local restaurant, above the wet market. Yummy food - garlic crab, lettuce wraps, and squid ink noodles (all black sauce from squid ink!). Later we went out to bars at Lan Kwai Fong which are mainly expat bars. A few times I forgot I was in Hong Kong.... very western feel. At one club, the lights turned on and there was announcement for everyone to show their IDs to the police. I guess there are random ID checks at bars (security doesn't check when you go in). Someone explained that they also do this to try to catch drug dealers at bars/clubs. Hmm...



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Lantau IslandLantau Island
Lantau Island

Lots of steps to Buddha!
Lantau IslandLantau Island
Lantau Island

Pretty clouds, mountains and view from the top.
Lantau IslandLantau Island
Lantau Island

Nice breeze (but still hot). HK's hottest day in 2007.
Lantau IslandLantau Island
Lantau Island

World's highest sitting Buddha. Where is the world's largest?


20th July 2007

nice
your first mention of a bar, nice. have fun!
21st July 2007

cool.
sounds fun. looking forward to seeing more pics!

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb