Kung Fu Pizza?


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
September 3rd 2006
Published: October 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dragon DanceDragon DanceDragon Dance

Kung Fu people doing the dragon dance.
This is the first weekend of school and I've just moved in. The campus scenery is amazing and very beautiful. Check out the pics in the Hēung Góng Fō Geih Daaih Hohk entry. The scenery pics shown below are from the ride to the nearest MTR station. MTR is similar to the subway system in New York. The Hong Kong landscape is made up of many hills and mountains, so there is always good scenery to look at. Wilson and I took the 91, which is a Double Decker bus route to Choi Hung. The prices for transporation are very cheap. The buses from school are priced around $5-8 HK, which is roughly around $1 US. From the pictures you can see that I'm already turning really fobby (fresh off the boat like) in my first weekend here.

Wilson and I have decided to head out to Kowloon Park to see this weekly event called Kung Fu corner. It is part of Hong Kong Tourism program to offer cultural experiences to tourists. The Kung Fu Corner entertained us with some Shaolin kung fu forms and dances. The forms were pretty good and artistic. They were done by boys and girls
Lion DancerLion DancerLion Dancer

Lion and I
of different ages, and they also did some weapon forms also. We also saw Dragon dances and Lion dances at the Kung Fu Corner. The Dragon dance is pretty spectacular. The boys and girls are pretty skillful at moving this thing around. There is a video of attached in this entry, you should watch it. The Lion dance was also very entertaining. There are two Lions dancing around each other and playing off the others movements. Very artistic and fun to watch. For those of you who don't know, there are 2 people in each Lion.

After visiting this great event and nice park, Wilson and I went to Diamond Hill to find some food and check out a big mall next to school. Since we went to find food around 7:00 pm, there are huge lines for every restaurant. This is because 7:00-8:00 pm is the time where Hong Kong people eat dinner. Luckily we found a Pizza Hut and the line here was very short. From the pictures below you can see that Pizza Hut is not like the one at home. I'd say it'd be an Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory equivalent of food and atmosphere.
Pizza HutPizza HutPizza Hut

The Pizza Hut in Diamond Hill.
The food, previously mentioned, is very good. We ordered a lot of food like appetizers. We got the Deluxe Snack Platter and it includes, sizzling sesame prawn toasts, chewy cuttlefish nuggets, crispy potato wedges and samosas, served with salmon mango salsa. Then the pizza we ordered was called Tokyo Temptation. It consists of beef, crab sticks, corn, mushrooms, pepperoni and a bit a of thousand island dressing. The pizzas here are better than the American pizzas, as far as Pizza Hut is concerned. One of my points for being in Hong Kong is to eat a lot of authentic Chinese and Asian food. Eating at Pizza Hut at first did not satisfy my point, but now I see that it was a good experience and worth the trip. I guess today was a pretty good day for cultural experiences.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bus 1Bus 1
Bus 1

A Picture of me looking really asian on the bus.
SceneryScenery
Scenery

Scenery on the way to the MTR station.
Pizza Hut 2Pizza Hut 2
Pizza Hut 2

The Pizza Hut in Diamond Hill.
Dragon 2Dragon 2
Dragon 2

Kung Fu people doing the dragon dance.
Bus 2Bus 2
Bus 2

A Picture of Wilson on the bus.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb