A NIGHT OUT


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
September 8th 2006
Published: September 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrive at the restaurantArrive at the restaurantArrive at the restaurant

Oh, come on! What a nice restaurant, the Golden Bauhinia near the Wanchai waterfront. So splendid! You know Piers knows an English word that Christie has no idea of it...Guess what? \"Bauhinia\"...is the city flower of Hong Kong...Check it in the dictionary if you\'re inquisitive
Since the last time I have posted to my blog, so much has happened. I took a two-week trip to China. I’ve moved on to the data analysis stage of my dissertation. I’m making preparations for my trip home in December, and I’m helping teach three courses this fall at the University of Hong Kong. But, the purpose of this blog entry is to share some pictures and memories from a night on the town in Hong Kong that I had this week with my friend Piers.
I’ve written about Piers several times in this blog. We will be presenting a paper together in November at the 12th Annual International Mobility Conference sponsored by the Hong Kong Society for the Blind. Piers and I swap stories and laugh a lot together. His English is very good, and he relishes the opportunity to practice with a native speaker. Because Piers is an Orientation and Mobility Specialist, I pepper him with many of those burning questions that blind people always seem to have for such folks. So, we just enjoy each other’s company.
Piers has come to the Senior Common Room at Hong Kong U to dine with me a few times. This
enjoying the Hong Kong eveningenjoying the Hong Kong eveningenjoying the Hong Kong evening

Don't focus on the elegant chopsticks Christie is holding...Don't focus on the delicate teacup Piers is picking up...Let's shift our attention to the magnificent night view behind us...Even though it is dark, you can feel the wonders of the night in Hong Kong...no more hustle and bustle of the day...You can see how enjoyable we are...
time, we decided to try a nice Chinese place in Hong Kong. After all, my time in Hong Kong is drawing to a close. So, I want to accumulate as many happy memories as possible.
Piers told me that the place we were going was quite exclusive. Much to my father’s relief, I’m finally starting to like this dressing up thing. I dawned one of my custom-made dresses purchased in China. I waited for Piers at the Main Library at Hong Kong U. He met me, and we were off!

Instead of braving the bus and subway system, we took the lazy way out and haled a cab from Bunham Road. Since Piers is Hong Kong Chinese, he directed the driver in flawless Cantonese. I sat back, content in the knowledge that I wouldn’t have to stress about communication.
As the driver efficiently whisked us off to the luxurious restaurant, Piers and I chatted about our recent trips abroad. He, his wife, and her family took a trip to Hokkaido, Japan. They enjoy visiting hot springs, and Japan’s northern-most island is famous for them. I told of my adventures in China in teaching English and visiting dear friends. When
LobsterLobsterLobster

A baby lobster! Hurry up! Take it when it is hot! So mouthwatering...as you can see Christie is trying very hard to hold back her mouth water before the camera, of course not to mention the smart guy besides...Oh, my goodness!
I get the pictures from my friends in China, I will write of that trip in more detail on the blog.
As soon as Piers and I stepped into the building where the restaurant is housed, I knew that I was in for a treat. The floors were slick and clean. The atmosphere was hushed and populated by dignified people. When we entered the Golden Bauhinia, a server greeted us discretely and showed us to our reserved table overlooking the harbor. As I put my handbag down, the server readied a linen napkin for me. He pushed my chair in as I sat down and gently placed the napkin on my lap.
Piers and I chose a set of dishes which he will describe in his now-famous captions to the pictures. All I have to say is that the food was delicious! I’ve finally tried the shark fin soup everyone’s been telling me about. And, how nice of Piers to get me a souvenir from Japan! Gosh, I’m out of American presents for men. Oh, what to do?



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

A delicacie!A delicacie!
A delicacie!

Christie is working hard on how to pick out the flesh of the lobster...Fork, sorry! Knife, sorry! Chopsticks, damn it! Oh...actually, Piers helps her to cut it into pieces. Christie enjoys it to the fullest and thinks it tastes much better the well-known lobsters from Boston...Hong Kong's the best, the best, the best, the best... IMG0005: Bravo! Soup with shark fins and scallop! This is the first time Christie has enjoyed such a traditional and culinary Chinese dish. Christie is sure to come back to Hong Kong again in her lifetime, not to visit her friends, but to taste this dish again, right?
More new tastesMore new tastes
More new tastes

Bravo! Soup with shark fins and scallop! This is the first time Christie has enjoyed such a traditional and culinary Chinese dish. Christie is sure to come back to Hong Kong again in her lifetime, not to visit her friends, but to taste this dish again, right?
Is it food or art?Is it food or art?
Is it food or art?

Oh, what is it on Christie's hand? Weird? Can we eat it? Actually, this is rice wrapped in lotus leaves. Christie's buddies should not be so fortunate enough to have a taste of it... It smells and tastes wonderful...
Be brave anf bargainBe brave anf bargain
Be brave anf bargain

Piers is so great...You know in our chosen set, there is no sweet soup included...but Piers asks for it and thanks goodness, the green bean soup is so delicious. We enjoy ourself very very much. Piers has made a good bargain...even in a famous restaurant! Do bargain in Hong Kong if you dare!
a presenta present
a present

What is Christie holding? This is a doll key-holder...called Beanie Pinky...a limited edition...bought in Tokyo, Japan by Piers when he visited Japan in summer as a souvenir for Christie...He hopes Christie can have a good memory of everything of Hong Kong...
Modern and ancientModern and ancient
Modern and ancient

See the lantern behind. Very tall, very traditional, very elegant, very bright, very appealing...actually its light comes from the electric bulb instead of candles used in ancient times...The is one of the welcoming signs of the Golden Bauhinia...
Golden BauhiniaGolden Bauhinia
Golden Bauhinia

Yeah, Christie is standing in front of the real Golden Bauhinia Statue near the waterfront...Many mainland visitors will come to take a snapshot for sure, otherwise they will feel something lost in their trip to Hong Kong...So Christie is going to have nothing lost in her visit here as a Fulbright fellow...but maybe just one...having no chance to come across her White Horse Prince...
The rain ends a lovely eveningThe rain ends a lovely evening
The rain ends a lovely evening

Oh, how come the technology of the digital camera is still so bad...just the tall and strong poles...but Christie’s becomes very tiny under the poles...Ah...it is really true We enjoyed delicious food, sipped Chinese tea, and talked for well over two hours. After dining, we briefly strolled near the waterfront. However, it was beginning to sprinkle. As we rode back to the University of Hong Kong campus, the rain increased in intensity. The taxi driver let me off as close to the door of the Graduate House, my dormitory, as possible. Piers walked me to the steps – ever the gentleman. Thus ends one of many lovely memories from my time in Hong Kong. I’m confident that more will follow!


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb