Quiet time and RAIN!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
May 8th 2013
Published: May 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So after a restless night of sleep, we got up strategized our last full day in HK so we can make sure we don't wander around too much. Started out close to our hostel and checked out this little place call Dim Dim Sum that was plastered with enlarged photos of articles about how they're real chef's top 100 places to eat. The articles had pictures the likes of Anthony Bourdain and David Chang although reading the articles, neither of them mentioned the place, but it was a good marketing ploy eh? 😊

It was a small but efficient place, there was a group outside waiting on a table but luckily there was an open spot for us in the corner. We had walked by the place the night before just browsing what was on our immediate block so I made it a point to look it up last night so I knew the general things people ordered. The menu is not extensive and has the general players so it wasn't hard. I got the sui mai, har gow, chicken feet, stuffed eggplant , beef balls, and the pineapple buns. First out were the pineapple buns piping hot, they were small which is good and they were really good if you like pineapples because there were actual pineapple pieces inside with the custard. Very nice. The other standout were the stuffed eggplant. Apparently everything is made in small batches or even steamed when you ordere them because the eggplants were like lava hot. Very soft and custardy in the middle, delicately flavored then the shrimp it was stuff with was bouncy and juicy with a bite and pull to it since it was deep fried briefly before it was steamed with a light teriyaki glaze. The other orders were tasty standards, our meal cost us $126hkd so I think approximately $18 usd, to a bargain but definitely affordable and delicious.

After having dimsum we decided to head to HK Island and check out the giant IFC mall. I was looking up supermarkets and they had one called Citysuper that is known to be pricy but has a lot of imported stuff. We were on the lookout for some snacks and I typically like to go to any market around the world to see what's on the shelves. We wandered around a bit and I picked up a few of this and that and figured it would be nice to just grab picnic and sit out somewhere since the weather yesterday and today has been on the cool almost chilly side. We got some bread at the bakery, some pate that was discounted since its expiry date was in 2 weeks, some salami of some sort, a little jar of apricot jam. We went out to discovery bay and had a fantastic picnic in the gray breezy day. John's watching some people fishing right now while I type this up. This was a welcomed respite from all the masses of people we've been around in Malaysia and Singapore. No one is around, either because they're in school, work, or inside since the weather is cool. We had down time in Pangkor but it was almost a week ago!

As some of you may have noticed, I have not fully blogged or at all about a couple of the other spots we visited. I will post those after I get caught up with other things that are involved with blogging while you're traveling. It's hard work!!



Tomorrow we head home, hopefully we'll be able to sleep on the plane! See all you soon! By the way, if you're wondering about the pin and our money situation; the pin was the correct one that was sent in the mail at home but for some reason the machines won't take it. So I ended up having to use my Chase card and pulling out money from my main account in order to have any cash to spend. I can't wait to see how much my fees were for this. I'm pretty ticked with the whole capitalone 360 checking account and debit card thing so I will surely be giving them a call. Anyone else had any experience with them?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb