Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
December 19th 2011
Published: December 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


So we opted for the deluxe sleeper option on the train over to Hong Kong, being a little wary of how ‘deluxe’ it would actually be. We were sharing a rather cramped but comfortable enough room with 2 Chinese gentleman. If you’ve ever seen that episode of ‘An Idiot Abroad’ recently where Carl describes his bed as sleeping on a shelf, that is pretty accurate. In our room the bunks were just the standard 2 high, but in hard sleeper they are 3 or even 4, without any steps up so some good upper arm strength is required if you opt for one of those beds!



Our train journey over, we then had the problem of getting into central Hong Kong. For this we relied on the kindness of strangers, which fortunately was in our favour. From those random strangers who tore pages our of their lonely planet guide to help us find the train station, to 2 guys who even went so far as helping us carry our luggage and buy our tickets. Sometimes a little help makes all the difference!

Then it was onto our hostel in Mongkok. We stayed in , which is similar to the dreaded ‘Chung King Mansions’ but slightly better! These buildings are just blocks full of different dirt cheap hostels and restaurants with pretty bad reputations, ours however was insanely small (even for me) but nice enough.



Hong Kong is big and bustling with a vibe that reminds me slightly of New York. Shopping is amazing, but all shops of the same type are pretty much next door to each other, so just find the right street for whatever you’re looking for, be it a phone or puppy and you’ll have so much choice!



Our first day we went across to Hong Kong Island and took the cable car up to Victoria Peak where you can marvel at the amazing view of the harbour opposite. We also met up with Aimee’s friend Deej who was kind enough to show us around for a bit and took us out for an amazing Mongolian BBQ. His apartment also boasts an awesome view of the harbour from his rooftop – jealous! We walked along the harbour front with the avenue of stars, the only recognizable names were Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li.



On our final night was a big one. Meeting up with Deej and his friend for cocktails, shots and champagne before heading to the Dragon-eye club, where apparently the black eyed peas had been just a few days earlier – typical! Very fun night though but very hazy memory of it. The last thing I remember clearly is telling some guy with dreads very enthusiastically that I loved his hair, after that there was (so I’m told) a second club and we went for food that I apparently loved. Needless to say getting the plane the next morning wasn’t fun…

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb