A tale of 2 Cities - HK & Macau


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
May 10th 2006
Published: June 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 (10th May 2006) ~
Smile was the universal language if you can’t speak like the locals



Remarkable 洪利

Everybody was full of praise for dinner tonight over the simple HK fare of Wan Tun Noodles and Century Egg Congee @ 洪利. This was HK cuisine at its best, at prices all could afford. It may not be featured as one of the “must-eat” places in Lonely Planet. But going back there again night after night until the boss (we assume he was) could recognize us was living testimony that the “standard” was there. He made an effort to be friendly but with our half-past six Cantonese, we could only manage a few vocabularies and a few smiles. Most of the time, we were speaking to him in Mandarin while his reply was in Cantonese. Even so, we had discovered a unique way of communicating with the local people.

Earlier today, as part of our “cost cutting measures”, we said goodbye to the spacious Caritas Bianchi Lodge and check-into Lee Garden Guesthouse. Sleeping in the city is truly expensive. I had to part 45%!o(MISSING)f my Progress Package for the accommodations.


About Lee Garden Guesthouse
Food galore @ Hong LiFood galore @ Hong LiFood galore @ Hong Li

Thks S for the pics!


Lee Garden Guesthouse was going to be our home for the next 4 nights. The size of the room was typical HK standards - “tiny” and needless to say about the bathrooms. If there was anything that caught our attention, it has to be the aged-old elevator. The only lift that service the block was tired and stuffy and very “花樣年華”. But our experience with it was pleasant rather than disgust. Back at home, we seldom (or never) had the opportunity to use them.


The New Territories

After a quick lunch at KFC, it was the KCR Train to the New Territories where the HK Railway Museum was housed. The small place was converted from the old Taipo Railway Station where relics of the steam engine era were displayed. Solemn, laidback and peaceful - we were transported back to the past through old photographs and disused carriages. An ideal way to spend a lazy afternoon beyond the hustle and bustle of the city.

Late afternoon - Shatin Station (沙田). The Snoopy Land that comes with it was a delight to visit. The 滿記 Desserts inside New Town Plaza was a pleasant surprise. I ordered the “mango wrap over” - very soon, it was gone!! The shopping mall itself was big but the crowds BIGGER!

The KCR transported us back to Tsim Sha Tsui that evening where we discovered our favourite 洪利! 



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Old lift @ Lee GardenOld lift @ Lee Garden
Old lift @ Lee Garden

Think it is older than us!


12th June 2006

d desserts look good...
12th June 2006

yummy!
the porridge looks delicious... and the livers so BIG....

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb