Bright lights, big city


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
January 17th 2007
Published: January 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

BIG buildings hereBIG buildings hereBIG buildings here

Some tall building around Admirality somewhere (taken while waiting for the tram)
Tom speaking: So, the journey to HK was a bit tough. Flight from Mumbai was 5am, with a stop in Bangkok. So we rocked up at the airport at 11pm and had to sit around for a couple of hours before checking in. After that it wasn't so bad - the lounge area seats are fairly reclined (but couldn't sleep though).
Got into HK at 3pm. So, safe to say you couldn't really get more of a contrast to Mumbai 'the toliet-hole'. Spanking new airport at Chek Lap Kok - clean as you like, super-fast train into the heart of the city, etc. Checked in at our posh hotel for the next 3 nights. Got one specifically with a pool - shame the weather wasn't fitting though - not exactly cold but not hot either, with drizzle on and off. Ate in the hotel first night - Chinese naturally. Yummy, but my appetite not it's usual as I had picked up some fluey thing I woke up with on our last day in Mumbai.
Next day walked down to the HK 'Avenue of Stars' on the front at Tsim Sha Sui - like the one in Hollywood but not as good
Shoe fumigating...Shoe fumigating...Shoe fumigating...

Bry's sandals were really smelly, so she soaked them in hot water for a few hours (sort of worked)
(Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, HK movie directors I've never heard of but famous here I guess).

After my vanishing pants episode in Mumbai (if we didn't tell you before, I had washed 3 pairs and put them on the railings outside the window to dry before going out for the day. When we came back, 2 pairs, both white, had vanished and were no-where to be seen below, so I think some local crows now have a well lined nest now), I needed to restock. As some of you know I am quite particular with my pant choice, so as luck would have it, we stumbled across an M&S branch on HK island where I treated myself to my usual pair (same price as UK in fact). Bry was starting to flag a bit then (getting the same bug I had) so we headed back to hotel.
Got out in the evening to the trendy eaterie area 'Knutsford Terrace' in Tsim Sha Sui and found a nice French bistro place where we treated ourselves to some good seafood and the first (decent) bottle of wine in over a month.

Next day headed over to the island again for
Designer pants?Designer pants?Designer pants?

You don't get posh bags like this in Cribbs...
a mooch around Causeway Bay/Times Square area - had planned to take the tram up the peak but it was pretty foggy so would have been a wasted journey - do that next time we're in town! Grabbed some great dim sum/soupy noodle afternoon snacks and checked out the shops some more. After freshing up at the hotel, we headed back over for some dinner - took the mid-levels escalator (longest series of escalators in the world that head from Central halfway up the hill to the peak!) into SoHo where there are loads of good restaurants, Euro, Mexican, you name it. After some mincing (by me as usual), we plummed for a steakhouse and treated ourselves, again - to probably two of the biggest steaks we've ever had and we were beaten (but only just!); not sure how we're going to cope in Argentina... The wine was an Argentinian Malbec which was superb - that I think we will be able to cope with in Argentina.

Off to Ho Chi Minh City in the morning...



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Kowloon by nightKowloon by night
Kowloon by night

Stock HK night shot
Fresh food!Fresh food!
Fresh food!

Finally, something that wasn't curried or deep-fried
Mid-levels escalatorMid-levels escalator
Mid-levels escalator

They run it downwards from 6-10am and up the rest of the day (lots of people commute to work from apartments on the hillside)
Before steakBefore steak
Before steak

10oz ribeye Bernaise for me and 12oz sirloin (though it looked 16!) garlic butter for Bry. And salad, sweetcorn, creamy mash. Prudent decision to not go for starters this time...


Tot: 0.365s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb