Morgan's guest blog!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
October 29th 2011
Published: October 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone!

I'm afraid this will be a poor blog in comparison with Jess's entertaining entries!

As you may have already heard, we are having a brilliant time. Hong Kong definitely lives up to the hype - it is an amazing city and its been full on since I arrived. I've added a few photos so you can see some of what we've been up to.

We went over to Macau today which is a 1 hour trip on the jetfoil. Fortunately, the ferry is very comfortable and more like being on a plane than a boat. Fortunate because Jess forced me to go out in Soho last night, the haunt of wealthy expat bankers (well it rhymes with bankers), and full of bars. I staggered back to the hotel about 2 am, which wasn't the best preparation for a sea voyage. Macau must be one of the most surreal places I've ever been - the bit in the centre could be any small town in Portugal, but surrounded by mega casinos, Las Vegas style hotels and weird things like mock Roman ruins. The place was absolutely mobbed with mainland Chinese and other tourists so we didn't hang about for too long, but a great trip out nevertheless.

Other highlights of the week so far include a trip up to the peak on the tram and a taxi ride back down to gawp at all the billionaires houses. I've also done the cultural bit, visiting the odd museum and wandering the back streets away from the main tourist areas. The locals tend to look at you a bit as they are not used to seeing many westerners in some of these areas, but they are very friendly and just curious I think. Happy Valley races was brilliant - particularly as jess backed the winner in the first race.

We are having an early night tonight as we are both pretty shattered and off early tomorrow over to Lamma island for a bit of beach and rest. I'm happily sat in my 29th floor room sipping a can of cold Tsing Tao so I'll clear off now and get some kip.

Your Asia correspondent

Morgan




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb