Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
January 12th 2008
Published: January 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

HONG KONG

Hong Kong didn't let us down and remained sunny and warm for the three days we were there despite it being the middle of it's winter.
There was so much to see in Hong Kong it was hard to decide what to do but on waking the first day to clear blue skies we made our way using Hong Kong's immaculately clean and easy to use MTR (rail network) to the 'Peak' above the green swathed mountains that loom above Central's tight packed ranks of skyscrapers. We reached the summit by the famous 'Peak Tram' built in 1888, an impossibly steep but wonderful way to get there. We spent an hour or so taking in the views and walking the summit path for more view before leaving it behind for the pretty Hong Kong park and Waterfrond Exhibition Hall where we joined throngs of delegates viewing next year's latest toys from around the world.

The following day our plans were changed by a chance meeting of a Malaysian lady on a ferry to the mainland. She told us of a cable car ride to the Great Buddha on Lantau Island so following her advice and after much travelling we arrived on the island and found the cable car. What she had ommited to tell us was that on the test run one of the cars had plunged down a slope below a support tower and had only just re-opened. Had we know this we may have had second thought! However, the ride was amazing. The 3.5 mile (£65 million)journey takes about 25 minutes and offers riders a spectacular view of Lantau island's hilly countryside and the new airport built in the habour before reaching the Tian Tan Buddha, the world's largest outdoor seated bronze Buddha.

On our last day we decided some history of the island wouldn't go amiss so paid a visit to 'The Museum of History' where we learned a little more of how it all began.

We left Hong Kong's wonderfully unhurried new airport where the staff were organised, kind and curteous to a sea of people, cases and delays at Heathrow terminal 1 where I could see no deterent for any unscrupulous person to help themselves the the piles of luggage lying all over the terminal and where once again Ken was recognised by the Iris Recognition machine but not myself.

We've now reached the end of our trip. Thank you all for your kind comments and for taking the time to read it. I will post news here of Manny and Philippa and our soon to be Granddaughter in due course.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



12th January 2008

Fab trip
Liverpool was crowned European City of Culture last night but I guess it would seem small fry after what you have seen the last few months. Isn't this blog just the best thing - it makes you glad the internet was invented. love to Phillipa and Manny when you get there.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb