Batumi on the Black Sea coast


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia » Adjara » Batumi
August 15th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a long time with no views of the sea, unless you count the Caspian of course but that's really a lake (!), Batumi was a breath of sea-breeze fresh air. It's just a shame about the hotel we chose. If you choose the cheapest room in a hotel, it's usually the cheapest room for a reason, and we paid up front for 2 nights!! It was stuffy, damp (our hand-washed clothes didn't dry in almost 2 days!), noisy (overlooking the courtyard which is used as a car park and backgammon room for the owners) and smoky because the window didn't close properly so anyone smoking in the courtyard was polluting our musky air!! We are sure if we had chosen a different room at the Hotel Iliko, and paid more, our view might have been different!

Even so, we really enjoyed our couple of days in this resort city. The Boulevard is lovely and the musical fountains are spectacular at night. Even the open air nightclubs seemed tastefully done but the thumping music suggested we are getting old!!!!!!! We nearly went on the Big Wheel but forgot all about it after walking past on our first day, but we did get an afternoon sunbathing on the rather stony beach. We walked a long way out though as it is very crowded close to the centre. Swimming in the Black Sea was great. How we have missed such pleasures!

Another delight was the restaurant we went t on both nights. The Sanapiro overlooks the waterside and you can see the locals fishing for their supper. The view over towards the docks would also excite certain members of our family!! We feasted on fish and we're not really sure exactly what we had but it was perfect, especially when washed down with a bottle of red wine. Heaven indeed!!

Our second day was not so nice. The sun didn't come out all day and you could see lots of tourists just wandering aimlessly around not knowing what to do! We had a plan B though, Batumi's Stalin museum. Stalin spent 6 weeks (or was it months?) here in his youth as he was discovering the joys of communism, although it was probably called socialism back then! The small museum houses a wonderful collection of paintings, photos and memorabilia and the guide spoke in Russian which Trish was able to translate for Russ!

So that was Georgia. All we had to do now was hope we hadn't developed any breathing problems from sleeping in a damp room and get down to the Turkish border. It proved to be a very easy thing to do as the bus went from just 5 minutes walk from the hotel. It was good for something in the end!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Musical FountianMusical Fountian
Musical Fountian

Rather usurped by the big one on the boulevard these days
Expensive StatueExpensive Statue
Expensive Statue

Rumoured to have cost a million Lari (£350,000). Must be a real golden fleece in its hand then!
Baku!Baku!
Baku!

Can't remember exactly what the guide said about this photo other than its location!
Aviation MemorialAviation Memorial
Aviation Memorial

No information about why!


26th February 2010

climate
Batumi and its vicinities are one of the important tourism and resort zones on the Georgian Black Sea littoral.The climate is humid subtropical.The low annual amplitude of temperature,warm winter and hot summer are characteristic features of the city.The avarage annual temperature is 14,5C,the avarage temperature in January,the coldest montj-is 7,1C and in August-the warmest month-23,2 C.The annual precipitation is 2560 mm.The showers are frequent.In rarely snows but when it does,the snow melts easily.The avarage annual temperature of the sea is 16,7 C at the shore.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb