Published: August 3rd 2012August 3rd 2012
I've been in China for a looong loooong time now (2.5 months but who's counting?) And there are an increasing number of things that I miss about home (which can be either Toronto or LA, these things are in both). So as I count down the days until my triumphant return to North America (16 days but again who's counting?) I'm thinking about all the things I want to savour when I get back!!
I made this list rather quickly so there's probably lots of things I missed...I'll add comments as I think of them!
Here's this week's list:
1. SALADS and generally fresh, uncooked vegetables that haven't been boiled then doused in a million pounds of oil and spices. Seriously I'm sorry to all the lovers of Chinese food out there, I'm SO SICK OF IT and I just want some UNCOOKED VEGETABLES!!
Fernanda can attest, I seriously want a salad every freaking day. And I end up getting something overly salted instead.
2. Cheese! Tibetan yak cheese was good but it can't quite fulfill my general need for cheese to make a return to my life.
3. Generally being able to control my own diet and cook for myself. Eating out every meal for 2.5 months sucks.
(First market day at Jefferson and Hoover is in 18 days but again, who's counting? Well I'm sure peach lady, veggie guys and hummus guy will be happy to have my business again!! Hmm maybe I should learn their actual names...)
4. The gym. We're getting fat here. (The food is also a culprit, see above.)
5. My own room. This is particularly a problem since we left Beijing and have been predominantly residing in hostel dorms. I just want my own space again!
6. People that aren't white or Chinese. I get soo excited when I see Indians. I miss multiculturalism!!!!
7. Being able to easily communicate with people. It's getting tiring having to speak broken Chinese. Though...my Chinese is improving vastly from this experience.
8. Reasonable people who actually follow rules, drive defensively, and don't bud in line.
9. Unrestricted, fast internet. I haven't updated goodreads in months! And there are so many videos to
...I miss you!!!
it's been a while but I'll see you both soon!!!
watch on youtube...
10. My friends/family (yes, all of you!)
Though I'm thankful every day I have Fernanda with me :) I wouldn't be on this adventure without her!
Soon enough, though, I'll be back with all of these things...