#22 Retiring Teacher preparing to teach in China (College prefers older teachers with experience)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
May 6th 2006
Published: May 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ye Jianping's works of artYe Jianping's works of artYe Jianping's works of art

The photograper Ye captiones his photo, "The tranquil tea museum". (Guilin area of China)
Three more weeks, almost packed, and frequent "stomach-butterflies" encourage quiet thought and contemplation of what is about to be. The advantage of a first visit to Taizhou Teachers College in Jiangsu Province of China, in the summer of '05, make anticipations and expectations no longer unsettling, rather they have become important for their outcomes. When I first met my friend Arthur, the Foreign Affairs Director at Taizhou College through links on the Internet, I asked him if he understands, that at 62, I am considered a "Senior Citizen", not always a desirable commodity in the West. He responded in appreciation for my age, and in recognition for life's education and experiences, with success and failure, and insisted, that these are very good and important qualifications, and are respected and admired at his small college (some 8,000 students). Good enough for me! :-)
I encourage the believe, that just like a turtle, who over time develops a convenient shell to absorb the daily challenges of life, a similar armor develops on the back of a teacher, to cushion and navigate a life-time of ever-unique school days in the American Public School System. My panoply of experiences will provide an enthusiastic umbrella for
Ye Jianping's works of art  #2Ye Jianping's works of art  #2Ye Jianping's works of art #2

Ye Jianping's direct-quoted English caption on back of photo says:"It seems like Penglai jade and superb pool it's Guilin Yao Mountain fairyland". Not the best of English, but the photo needs no language.
my moments of life in China still to be encountered and enjoyed among a people, wanting to make their proud 5,000 year culture and aspirations understood and respected. Encounters, that might challenge a veteran- Western- teacher at a Chinese College, should only make that shell more durable and cushiony, providing comfort and strength. Challenges make a veteran- teacher more determined, and wanting to make a difference, confident in the "Senior-Days of Life."

In one of the last commentaries, I was able to share some of the encouraging thoughts of a colleague-to-be at the College. Her name is Sue, hails from Australia, and has been a fountain of support, wisdom, and information for my travel and teaching preparations. The photos below, are memories from my last visit to her friendly and fascinating country of Australia, and are tribute to the joy and adventures all visitors will encounter in their explorations of "Down-Under". Australia embraces a traveller, and welcomes the heart and the spirit, leaves one satisfied while wanting more.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Ye Jianping's works of art  #3Ye Jianping's works of art  #3
Ye Jianping's works of art #3

Ye Jianping's caption reads: "happy cable car" :) (Guilin, South China)
Ye Jianping's works of art  #4Ye Jianping's works of art  #4
Ye Jianping's works of art #4

Caption is quoted as: "The Yao Mountain in the rising sun" My caption: "On the way to heaven"
Ye Jianping's works of art  #5Ye Jianping's works of art  #5
Ye Jianping's works of art #5

English caption on back reads: "The red leaves in Autumn"
build to lastbuild to last
build to last

Termite- "Condominiums" in Queensland Australia
they come largerthey come larger
they come larger

Termites are well-sheltered from all elements.
the perfect guide to recommendthe perfect guide to recommend
the perfect guide to recommend

Andrew Garde, my guide for several days, introduced my to many of my unforgettable experiences in North Queensland, Australia. Andrew Garde 1 Coogee Close Kewarra Beach, Cairns Qld Australia 4879 email: onthebeach@cairns.net.au www.boyzonthebeach.com.au This is a very sincere recommendation.
Lunch is servedLunch is served
Lunch is served

While I explored the waterfalls, Andrew, my guide, would find the perfect place, and set-up for delicious BBQ-lunch by the water.
Poetry in WaterPoetry in Water
Poetry in Water

West of Cairns, in Queensland, water rushes toward the "dead-end" of the out-back of Australia
it takes more than sand-paperit takes more than sand-paper
it takes more than sand-paper

Monster-stones washed smooth by the power of rushing water during the rainy season of Queensland.
bird-sanctuarybird-sanctuary
bird-sanctuary

Reef-sand-islands provide great moments for observation.
The sandbanks of the Great Barrier ReefThe sandbanks of the Great Barrier Reef
The sandbanks of the Great Barrier Reef

Sandbank-island off the coast of Cairns
Botanical GardenBotanical Garden
Botanical Garden

One of the sights not to be missed while in Cairns is a visit to its lush botanical gardens.
The Gardens of CairnsThe Gardens of Cairns
The Gardens of Cairns

Walk for hours in the tranquil silence of Cairns Botanical Garden
there is green, and there is Greenthere is green, and there is Green
there is green, and there is Green

Textures in the tropical gardens of Cairns
there is red, and there is Redthere is red, and there is Red
there is red, and there is Red

Wander among the colors of Cairns
Sausage TreeSausage Tree
Sausage Tree

without words (ohne Worte)
Another of Sydney's landmarksAnother of Sydney's landmarks
Another of Sydney's landmarks

Visit AMP tower centrepoint and it's rotating restaurant and plan your explorations from above.
from tower restaurantfrom tower restaurant
from tower restaurant

Looking toward Sydney Harbor Bridge from AMP Tower restaurant. Over an hour, the restaurant revolves 360 degrees, providing a changing vista.
Opera HouseOpera House
Opera House

What was once a contraversial architectual offering has become Sydney's identity.
leaving the city of Sydneyleaving the city of Sydney
leaving the city of Sydney

Looking back to the Circular Quay, the heart of the city.
Sydney invitesSydney invites
Sydney invites

All people enjoy the city's quality of life.
setting sun reflectssetting sun reflects
setting sun reflects

The warmth of the sun reflects from the skin of the Opera House.


7th May 2006

Hey schneider Thought I'd drop by and read a few entries now that AP exams are through for me. I must say that I love your photography (as I'm sure I must have told you before now) and to hear how excited you are to go teach in china is really reassuring. I know we will miss you desperately next year but I guess it's time for you to move on to somewhere where you are happiest and your teaching will be most appreciated. Unfortunately thats not with us but I'm just glad you found it. I would just like you to know you have made a profound impact on everyone in our class. I have spoken to high school graduates who cannot remember most of their high school teachers names. But I feel I can safely say that you will not be the type of teacher that, at least my class, will forget. See you Monday! Margie PS- I think I did okay on the AP!

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb