Early start in Kunming


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
February 27th 2009
Published: February 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The overnight train to Kunming was fine, apart from the train was supposed to arrive at 6.15 am, but arrived early, and we were awake and off by 5.30AM!!! This was hard.. getting a taxi at this time in the (dark ) morning wasnt fun either, but we made it to the hotel in one piece!
When we arrived in the hotel there was a buffet breakfast, which we all enjoyed, before showering and out for our orientation walk. We got outside, the sun had come up and it was HOT! Kunming is a smaller city, but nice and clean.
I went back to the hotel after the orientation walk and picked up Emma who had a nap. Straight out again and we went for a Blind massage. There was a street with about 10 locals who were blond and had a seat infront of them. You get a head, neck and shoulder massage, and it was really good, wasnt phased by sitting in the middle of the street though. The sun was shining, the weather was hot, and i was getting a massage, Brilliant!
After the massage we went to the market where i bought a jade bangle, really nice purpley colour instead of the green jade normally is, supposedly its better for your health, but i just liked the colour! Although it wasn't big the market had all kinds of things, from bunnies and guinea pigs, to parts for your motorbike.
I also bought a piece of pinapple on a stick, which was lovely and i needed some fruit., so easy!

On our stroll through the city we stumbled across a Carrefour- the french supermarket. We bought a picnic from here and sat in the sun and ate it. Nice lunch, apart from a girl who looked as if she lived on the street was standing a meter away from us and staring continuously...it was a bit strange and we tried to move her on or distract her (by talking to her, or pointing and saying ''look over there'''), but her stare didnt break.....it was a good 20 mins long stare until the police came and moved her on.

That night we had dinner in a western style place, went on the internet, and then went to bed relatively early.

The next morning we were up at 6.30, buffet brekkie again and then out in a taxi to the bus station. This was the longest bus journey EVER...15 hours, with only 1 toilet stop and one stop around lunchtime. Off the bus at 9.30pm to cross the border into vietnam.
It seemed a longer process than it probably was as we were all shattered, but we gained an hour and continued onto our hotel in Sapa, Vietnam.

Hungry when we got there we had a small dinner, mine was mix veg soup, but it was basically pea soup, yummy! and then bed. The room in this place was cold, no heating and the sheets were dirty. Our tour leader, who we didnt like so much now had told us this hotel was amazing, really nice, but i think he was lying, or he had different standard when going to a hotel.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb