Dali - Lijiang


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
June 25th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post



Up after a good night sleep, got ready and went for breakfast.

We checked out then caught bus for a 4-5 hour journey to the world heritage town of Lijiang. The journey was interesting and we saw a wide variety of things on route from farms, toens to Army shooting ranges.

We arrived in Lijiang at about 1:00. We were staying in a hotel situated in the New town but just around the corner from the old town.

We headed off in to the old town for lunch, where again it started to pour it down with rain. I almost killed myself a couple of times due to the slippery cobbled stones (and the fact I was wearing flip flops probably didnt help either.)

Anyway had a steak for the first time in ages and it was excellent.

Afterwards once the rain had stopped Larry (who had had river snails - which is a famous Naxi dish - the Naxi being the people who inhabit this area), his wife Darline, Mick and I went for a wonder throught the beautiful old town.
The town was founded on the spot that Kubli Khan (Mongolian Khan or emperor) Naxi Market
Naxi Market
and his army had set up their camp back in the late 1200s. He also befriended the Naxi people who werent too keen on the Chinese at the time.
The town is beautiful but very touristic. There is nothing but souvanear shops (although most of the goods are actually made by the shop owners themselves) and bars and restaurants.But all the buildings are very traditional, which is nice.
After a couple of hours wondering and getting lost only once we went back to the hotel.

Because we had eatten so late we went out that evening for a quiet drink and snack.

This was very relaxing and a good laugh. Esspecially when some Chinese dude (in traditional dress) wanted to sell us his skills for cleaning ones ears with the use of tweasers and a tuneing fork.

Afterwards I wanted to check out the news on the BBC website back at the hotel but unfortunatly thats blocked over here.

Went to chill with Chinese Fung Fu movies instead.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb