Teeth Cleaning Requires a Follow-Up Appointment


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Zhejiang » Hangzhou
April 4th 2012
Published: April 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Pete & Elyse headed to the nearby Dental Hospital on Saturday, March 31st. It had been one year since either of them had a cleaning and they knew the cost was a fraction of the price in the US. Elyse had checked out a few places online through the Expat Forum and actually visited the Dental Hospital before making an appointment. Cleanliness, cost and a language barrier were her major factors when deciding where to have medical services done while living in China. When living in the US only 1 of these 3 factors would come into play as all dental clinics would have to be clean and speak English.



Dr Wang was amazing and looked at Peter and Elyse's teeth first before sending them into seperate rooms to have a Specialist do the cleaning and polishing of their teeth. Pete was advised he still had primary teeth in his mouth, no shocker, as he has always wanted to have them removed and had implants put in but hasn't justified the cost just yet. Elyse was advised that she had 2 cavities and the back of her teeth are darker than the front. "Do you brush the back of your teeth? Drink coffee or smoke?" Dr. Wang asked. Elyse's response, "Of course I brush the back of my teeth, but I have had my teeth bleached a few times and they don't bleach the back only the front." No flossing, measuring of gums, cancer checks or X-rays were done but X-rays were offered for an additional fee. The total cost for the cleaning was 180RMB ($28.57) per person.



Elyse had to return this morning to have her cavities filled. She was given the option of resin imported from Japan or nano resin imported from the USA. She then thought back to the blog about things that are "Made in the USA, Sold in China" this would be another item that the US exports to China. Elyse chose the nano resin from the US in support of her country even though the Japanese resin was cheaper. You get what you pay for popped into Elyse's mind and Brooke, her sister, probably would have chosen the nano resin. Dr Wang advised that there would be no injections as the cavities didn't seem to be that deep, also if Elyse had any discomfort to raise her left hand. 458RMB ($72.70) later Elyse had 2 brand new fillings and was on her way without a half numbed face.



This is the second time Elyse has had a filling done in China with no painkillers and has survived just fine. Dr Wang was advising Elyse how Invisalign, dental implants and fillings all come from the USA and Germany, so the price in China is similar to US pricing for these services. Dr Wang was curious to know the prices in the US for these services along with dental insurance coverage and the cost of dental school in the US. She has received her Master's in China but this country doesn't require four years of dental school to practice. She would be interested in attending one or two years of dental school in the US to learn more. This being said before Elyse's appointment she was in surgery doing a dental implant so she is very capable of the work that dentist in the US require years more of schooling. Another great culutural awarness exchange between the two.



Recommendation: Dr. R Wang at Hangzhou Hengha Dental Hospital part of Stomatology College of Zhejiang University located at 20 Gudun Rd near intersection of Gudun and Tianmushan. www.henghadental.com ph#86 571 8715 1966. They even sent a text message in English the day before as a reminder.

Advertisement



4th April 2012

teeth cleaning
Glad to hear you did not have pain with the fillings...that is the way they used to do it!

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb