Shangrila


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Zhongdian
September 19th 2007
Published: October 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Zhongdian is otherwise know as Shangrila, marks the western most point of my journey on this backpacking trip. The city itself is prosperous thanks to a booming tourist trade. Here, it is possible to get a small peek into Tibetan culture without going to Tibet and dealing with all the hassles of getting a permit associated with it.

For anyone going to Tibet, this would probably be a nice stop to get adjusted to the altitude before going any higher. I've been feeling the effects of altitude sickness here and have not been sleeping well. The thinner air makes strenuous hikes more exhausting. However, hiking around Shangrila is very rewarding, there are a number of hills and mountains in the area south of the old city. At some places, one can see the name, Shangrila, inscribed on the side of the hills in Chinese, Tibetan, and English.

One of the biggest annoyances of traveling in China is dealing with the hordes of organized tour groups. The sheer number of people makes it harder to see what you want to see without waiting in a line; to take a picture of what you want to take without having someone in
Tibetan MonksTibetan MonksTibetan Monks

Tibetan monks trumpeting the sunset. I will never forget how these horns sound.
the way; and sometimes just plain annoy the heck out of you with their loud jabbering. The Sungtseling monastery is frequented by a plentiful number of tour groups. However, I've discovered the secret to being able to enjoy China's gems without dealing with the hordes, and I'll gladly share them. About half an hour before sunset, the tour groups all go away to have diner. Having the massive place to myself. I was able to have a nice conversion with a actual monk as he showed me how they sounded off the hours using a yak skin drum. I was able to take the time to slowly enjoy the sunset. Watch the sun cast it's final rays of light into the clouds. I was able to catch the monks as they trumpet the sunset with large horns without the background noise of a hundred conversations.

I'm told there is a lot of things to do around Shangrila. Unfortunately, my schedule is a bit rushed and I must keep going. Cheers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Sungtseling from afarSungtseling from afar
Sungtseling from afar

The steps leading up the the vast Sungtseling monastery, the largest Tibetan monastery in Southern China outside of Tibet. No other tourists. =)
Tibetan monasteryTibetan monastery
Tibetan monastery

A smaller monastery in Shangrila's "old city".
Prayer WheelsPrayer Wheels
Prayer Wheels

Prayer Wheels inside the Sungtseling Monastary
Tibetan monasteryTibetan monastery
Tibetan monastery

Another monastery
Back hills of ShangrilaBack hills of Shangrila
Back hills of Shangrila

The hills behind the old city offer great view of the city as well as the chance to see inscriptions on the hillsides. I wonder how they write on a hill.
Old cityOld city
Old city

Shops, restaurants, and hostels in the very commercial "old city" of Shangrila.
Old Abandon Building Old Abandon Building
Old Abandon Building

South of the old city in Shangrila, can be found if you hike around the area I call "the middle of nowhere". I was so lost.
Yak butter teaYak butter tea
Yak butter tea

It is like drinking cheese!


3rd October 2007

knock off version of Tibet and without the altitude sickness? sign me up! i'm thirsty for some Yak Butter Tea alread.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb