We're Still Here!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Lijiang
October 6th 2005
Published: October 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We're still here. China that is. For better or worse we're still exploring this mystifying country. As an exhibit, a few days ago Sherry and I were sitting in a cafe that served western food. On the menu: beef burger, cheeseburger, vegetarian burger, potato burger. I ordered the cheeseburger. It was a grilled cheese on a bun. Tasty, but honestly, I was expecting the burger part too, the meat!

We're in Lijiang which is in very NW Yunan province, which puts us in very SW China. Here we're not that far from Burma, from Tibet, from Laos. This is another very touristy, and touristed, town. Especially this week, the holiday week. There are tons of Chinese tourists here. They have an old town here, kinda like Alexandria, only older and less yuppies.

Today Sherry and I are taking a mini bus with a bunch of other 'packers to the north of here to see Tiger Leaping Gorge. Supposedly the deepest gorge on the planet. We are at elevation here. Not sure how high, but shampoo and toothpaste exploded when opened and we're looking at a 17, 000 foot mt that doesn't look _that_ high.

For the record, we really enjoyed the city of Kunming, about 8 hrs from here by bus and the capital of Yunan. The city was very very chill, uncrowded, and we stayed near a very nice park. Our fav spot so far.

Gotta go. Stealing internet from 'Mama's Cafe', this guesthouse sort-of place where we're getting our tour from.

-Cory

Advertisement



6th October 2005

Elevation
The cheesy webpages I've found list Lijiang's elevation at around 2,600 meters (8,530 feet).
7th October 2005

still where
oh are you guys still gone. thought you were back hahaha love ya and where's our pics

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb